Sunday, May 8, 2016

almost the end of this day...


Fresh tears as the day ends, to match those at the start of my day.
Well, not quite.
These latter were tears of joy.
So many sweet comments and loving memories in response to the photo of Mama that I had shared on facebook!
They did my heart good to know she was so well remembered.
No one truly disappears from this Earth as long as someone remembers them with joy.

I dressed up in Mother Pat's fuchsia spring dress, brushed my hair into a full ponytail on the right side, and donned lipstick.
I was ready to leave the house, after staying in all of yesterday.
(I had not even left to pick up the newspaper in the front yard.)

I began my day at Greenwich Cemetery.
I must confess that I have not been for a while.
In the frame of mind I was in, seeing her gravestone was shocking proof that she was dead, that it had not been some mad dream.
I sat on the family marker and wept in the sunshine.
Then I gathered rocks and lined them on her gravestone. I found a large oyster shell and placed it with the already-present smooth stone on the family marker. I even placed rocks of remembrance on the gravestones of my stepdad and my stepbrother and my stepdad's first wife, fondly known to me as the librarian at my high school.
I sat in the sunshine a while longer, then fluffed the flowers that stood to either side of the family marker.
Finally, I was restored and took the scenic drive on my exit from Greenwich, driving slowly and admiring the blue sky and green trees and marble sculptures.

I had thought I would take in a movie about mothers, but I had lingered too long at the grave site.
Or had I?
Perhaps I had lingered just long enough to -miss- what surely would have led to more tears.
Instead, I went to visit my friend Willie in the hospital.
That was an excellent decision.
A young police officer helped me find him right away, so I lost no time in that regard.
He was thrilled to see me as was I to see the twinkle in his eyes!
i thank You, God!
We had about fifteen minutes to visit before his sweetheart, his daughter and two granddaughters came in from church to check in on him. Very nice! Gloria was so happy to see me there! She and I had a nice talk while Willie played Grandpa. And I had a chance to catch up with Tian, too, the granddaughter who once accompanied him to games! Now, she's graduated from college and has a new job as a drama teacher at a high school in Atlanta. Wow!!!
After they left, I stayed for another fifteen minutes or so, then took my leave. He needed a nap and that was my cue.

The timing was good for me to head down to Tybee. The Tybee Performing Arts Center had a new show that opened this weekend and I was hoping to snag a seat.
My luck was good! "Stepping Out" still had seats for this Sunday matinee! And what a glorious show it was, too! Lots of older women - and one older gent, too - up there on the stage, bringing laughter and tapdancing!
Thanks, y'all!

Tonight, I dined on tuna chowder.
Comfort food from my childhood.
But now it's jazzed up with some lemon pepper, thanks to a serendipitous accident I made one evening.
And now, this day is done.

i thank You, God.

i miss you, Mama...

No comments: