Saturday, May 28, 2016

guess who's teaching in summer?


I don't honestly know if this is a birthday gift or not.
Late Thursday night, I checked my Tech email. Here is what was waiting for me.

*****
Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:41 AM
Hi Faustina,
Looks like all the Chem classes are going to be held this summer, so you're scheduled to teach 1211 and 1211L.
Jordan

*****

&&&&&
Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:57 PM
Wow.
I am so glad I happened to check this tonight!
Jordan, if you would please forward a copy of your syllabi, so I can make sure my Labs and material coverage coincide with yours, that would be lovely!
And here I thought I was going to sit idle this summer...
Glad I'll be busy part of the time with y'all!
Faustina

&&&&&

She and I had discussed the possibility of my teaching for this abbreviated term, but the chance had been slim to none. For me to be allowed to teach, three things would have to happen.
1) The section of 1211 initially offered would have to fill up to 17 students.
2) A second section of 1211 would have to obtain at least 5 students.
3) The section of 1212 would have to obtain at least 5 students.

If option 3 was not fulfilled, then Jordan would teach both sections of 1211. (As at Armstrong, full-time staff at Savannah Tech also have first dibs on the extra money from teaching in the summer.)
I have been checking in on my Tech email every few days, to stay in touch. As of the beginning of this past week, I was definitely not going to be teaching.
And now, suddenly, I was.
And the first day is Tuesday.
Three days from now.

She sent me a copy of her lab syllabus, but did not have the lecture syllabus handy.
Drats.
And the book being used was not the same one used for my 1211 classes in the spring.
Of course not.
Drats.
She said it was the Tro book (used for my 1151 course), not the Timberlake. Tro, the one who cannot seem to string concepts in a logical order for freshman chemists.
Drats.
That meant my lesson plans would have to be correlated to the chapters in yet another different book.
That meant the homework assignments I had so painstakingly composed last semester were of absolutely no use to me now.
Drats.
And this is my birthday weekend.
Fine.
I resolved to get done what I could in the time available.
Well, whatever I could, but definitely not including Sunday.
That day completely belongs to me.
After all, I'm only turning 58 once!

I gave myself yesterday to mull things over. As I've mentioned before, my brain can work wonders when left to do its thing.
(smile)
I also allowed myself a bit of distraction.
(smile)
Then, after breakfast today, I gathered together some blank sheets of paper, Jordan's proposed lab syllabus, the chapter order she had decided to use (*), my tests from the spring, and the textbook.
After a solid five hours of work, I think I have my lesson plans ready.
I think so.
I had hoped to perform the labs in the same order she is using, but that would involve a lot more work on my part. I am just not willing to do that for an 8-week course.
Drats.
That means I'll have to plan on prepping my own labs.
Ah, well, that's no different than what I did in the spring.

For now, I am going to get out of the house!
Barbara has agreed to meet me for my free birthday dinner at Golden Corral - yahoo!
I'll work on the syllabi on Monday... but not on my birthday!
(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten to explain the * about Jordan's teaching order.
When she returned to Tech in April, and she was working on her Summer 1211 syllabus, she had mentioned that the chapter order in the book meant the labs were not going to correlate very well.
I said to her, "then don't use his order. Teach the material in the order that works best for you and the students. That's what I do!"
And, bless Pete, she took my advice!
1,2,3,..9..,4,5,6,7,8,..10!