Sunday, May 29, 2016

birthday fun with sebastian the crab!


This was exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday evening: in the company of friends, at a musical!!!
Yes, yes, YESSSS!!!
Sandy had fetched me there, so I didn't even have to drive!
And just what was this musical?
"The Little Mermaid"!
Unlike the version seen last year, this one was very much the story as told by Disney. Lots of singing by sealife and sailors, lots of color splashed liberally - you know.
But I can assure you that this production by the Savannah Children's Theatre was not your normal rendition of the tale. It was definitely Broadway quality!
I kid you not!
(Pun intended!)
No, seriously, this was one of the best plays I've ever seen, whether here at this theatre or elsewhere.
The boundless energy of the younger children, costumed as the great variety of fish and coral and turtles inhabiting Ariel's world, was bright and happy!
The puppetry at play in the more elaborate costumes, in particular that of the evil Ursula and her two flying-floating-skating electric eel henchmen, added a truly professional touch (and have become an earmark of David Poole's work for Collective Face and others)!
And the set design? Incredible! The beach was clearly above the water's surface, whereas Ariel's secret space and Ursula's murky lair could only have existed under the waves!
But all of that would have meant naught if not for a stellar cast. I had known my friend Thomas was in the play, as I had seen his photo in the article about the play. I knew he would make the most of his role as Sebastian the Crab, primarily because I have great respect for his talent. And part of me suspected that if he were involved, then the show was going to be more than a community theatre production.
And he proved me right, too!
Bravo, as well, to Finn Repella as Flounder, and to the young man who played the seagull! He managed to maintain character - and dignity - and comdic timing - whilst being hauled around in the air!
Mi dos amigas were mightily impressed!
I hope I will be able to see it again... that would be magical!
Meanwhile, happy 58th to me!
Thanks, y'all!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Afterward, we went to IHOP for dessert, Barbara's treat. Hooray!
But the service and kitchen help turned our outing into ninety minutes of wait time.
Trust me, we'll be returning to The Diner from now on!