Monday, May 16, 2016

DEEP kids with deep thoughts


Such bravery on the stage of the Savannah Theatre!
Thirty-nine middle-school children took turns reading their story or poem in front of a full house.
Not all together, mind you.
Individually.
One on stage at any given time.
I was in awe of them.

I remember when I was that age.
I had written some haiku pieces and had been asked to read them at the next school meeting in the gym.
I had freaked out and broken down in tears.
The teacher relented and never asked me to do that again.

Fast forward forty-five years, to today.
I had noticed that the event was coming up and made plans to attend.
I haven't been for a number of years.
Why not?
Well, usually as soon as my grades for the semester are in,
I'm out of town!
Not this time.
I've been much more of a homebody since the hit-and-run.
So, this year, when "DEEP Speaks" rolled around, I rolled on into it.
Such a different venue since I had last attended!
Such a larger event than the inaugural one I had attended at Muse Arts Warehouse!
Both the writing group and the venue had been in their fledgling years in 2009. Or maybe it was 2010? I'm not sure which is correct, but I can tell you this: I bought a copy of every anthology they had. Then, I gave those books to nieces and nephews, to show them what was possible, even if you're just a kid.
Since that time, the program has grown quite nicely and now has some funding on a national level. Congratulations!
I lent my support by purchasing three of the four books by the Spring 2015 writers at the thirteen schools participating in the program.

This was the first book I selected for purchase.
Why did I choose it?
Was it because of the colorful art work?

No, although I must admit I do like the bespectacled pink octopus.
Was it because fishing is one of my favorite activities?
No, no, no.
I haven't been fishing since I was a child.
I never really cared for that sport.

Was it because I knew some of the authors?
No, that wasn't the case, either.
In fact, I knew no one -
I mean absolutely no one -
at this event or affiliated
with the DEEP Center.
I chose this book because
it featured the works
of students from Myers Middle School,
which had been my school
for grades 7, 8, and 9, in the early 1970's.

What about this book?
Did I go to any of the schools of the
authors in this volume?

Nope, I only went to the one middle school.
I did have nephews and nieces
that attended Hesse School K-8
and Isle of Hope School K-8.
But that is not why I chose it.

That unicorn on the cover.
The one with the kid on its back,
the kid reading a book?

Yep. I'm not sure how she's able
to read in the dark, but
younger eyes are better for that.
(smile)
The two dragons are a nice touch, too.
Oops! Make that four dragons,
including the two on the back cover.

And I suppose the dragon
is the reason for the purchase
of this third book?

Yes, indeed!
In for a penny,
in for a pound!
Also, the dragon seems so very playful,
doesn't he?
That emphasizes that reading is fun!

Quite honestly, I don't know why
I didn't go ahead and buy
the fourth book, too.
I simply resisted.
Perhaps if it had a mythical creature,
I would have relented.
Mayhaps I would have if the three schools
had been ones I knew.
After all, I have friends who teach at
three of the four listed on this tome.
Plus, I've volunteered at
East Broad Street School,
reading to children there.
No worries, though.
The Live Oak Public Libraries have copies of the books since 2013.
Maybe you and the kids might look up a tome or two this summer?
Could be inspirational!

No comments: