Sunday, May 29, 2016

birthday and hymns from a hat


What a lovely way to begin my 58th birthday!
As good fortune - and sweet circumstance! - would have it, today is a fifth Sunday of a month.

And that is important because...?

Because that means Asbury Memorial was celebrating my birthday with Music & Arts Sunday!
No sermon, since Billy takes that fifth Sunday as a day of rest.
Just singing and other creative presentations!

How very nice for you! You do so enjoy singing, and always have.

I truly do and truly always have, and I can thank my parents for that.

Back to the church service today, shall we?

Absolutely! From the keywords in the Call To Worship (of a "Playful God", "Starshaper", "Storyteller", "Soulful Spirit") and the very first song of the day ("Morning Has Broken", the old Cat Stevens' tune), I knew I was in for a treat!
Those preliminaries were followed by the baptism of a toddler, Brynlly. We all got to sing her a welcome to the faith family as Billy carried her around for all to see. I very much enjoy that!
Then Dottie Kluttz, a hospice nurse, told us one of the stories she has recorded from her patients. This one was about French-born Chantelle, now an old woman in Vidalia, Georgia. Trust me, the tale was especially appropriate for this Memorial Day weekend. The story also reminded us of the importance to keep our dreams alive.
At the end of her tale, we all stood for a rousing medley of patriotic songs!

Some of your favorite things! How very nice!

Oh, yes! The handbell choir was next up. Good to see Miss Virginia shaking her music makers!
(smile)
And then came the moment I'd been awaiting - Hymns In A Hat! Four children pulled the choices folks had inserted prior to the service. Four songs then filled the air, as we all flipped to the selected hymn numbers on the slips of paper!
Mine, #434, was not one of them this time, but that was okay - we were still singing!

Which songs did get chosen?

How about we skip on to what happened after those four songs? You see, Billy wasn't done with the singing. Oh, no! So, he shouted out two more, with the last being...
are you ready for this?....
...
...
"How Great Thou Art"...
the one I'd heard repeatedly in March!
You better believe I was channeling my inner Elvis!!!
(smile!)

Such great fun for you!!! I'm glad you got to that!

Me, too!
After church, I visited Mama at Greenwich. Such a beautiful, blue-sky day to enjoy the world she and Daddy gave to me!
Then I grabbed a fried shrimp dinner at Sisters of the New South on my way home!
Time to eat!

Later, 'tater!

After a while, crocodile!
(smile!)

No comments: