Thursday, June 23, 2016

anhydrous no more!


Tonight's lab with two salts went very well!
For the one which was anhydrous and deliquescent, its appearance was to be compared and contrasted during the lab period, upon its exposure to air.

I opt to have the salt crystals on a watch glass for optimal observation.
Notice the "dew on a spiderweb" on the outer edges?
And the "damp sand edges of a white island"
Fabulous demonstration!

I'll have to remember to set the watch glass in a damp sink next time, too. That worked quite well!

For the hydrated salt, we used copper (II) sulfate, which has lovely blue crystals. For this one, we wanted to evaporate the water and then determine how much had been present. The ultimate goal was to determine the molecular formula for the hydrate. Hopefully, everyone will do the calculations correctly!

Afterward, I was off to the ball game!
I was two hours late getting there, but the Bananas welcomed me with a four-run scoring streak after the seventh-inning stretch!
Hooray!
And Diana welcomed me with two chicken sandwiches, a hotdog, and a soda with lots of ice! Oh, and two Byrd's cookies!
Hooray!
And then, my military service was recognized and thanked!
Hooray!
Nice touch, that last one, y'all.
Thankyouverymuch.

No comments: