Wednesday, June 8, 2016

what a wednesday!


Hooray!
My first niece and I saw our first Summer Kids film today! It was even a movie neither of us had seen before!
Happy birthday:58 to me!
Why had neither of us seen it on its first run? Well, "Max" is the story of a dog whose owner gets killed in combat. Not the happiest premise, right?
So, we had abstained.
But not today!
And guess what?
The movie was actually uplifting! Especially for the dog. You see, a bad guy breaks his fall and serves as a protective cushion, so to speak, so the dog survives! Most excellent!
And that's what I told the manager at Olive Garden, too, when he stopped by our table to see how our day was going. Sure, I could have limited the discussion to the delightful lunch my niece and I had there. But, come on! He had already been hearing that sort of thing from other diners. I wanted to give him something different!
(smile)
The rest of today was like some zany deja vu dream.
Dinner was with one of my ladies-only meetups, followed by a movie at the Sentient Bean with the PFS fan club.
Just as I had done exactly two weeks ago!
As I had done on May 25th, I celebrated birthday:58 with the 40+WSN for Happy Hour at Spanky's! This time, though, we had about twice as many of us there. Still fun, but I didn't get to talk with several of them (Jan and Renee and Michelle and Lisa) nearly as much as I would have liked. (Last time, there were only six of us, so we were all close enough to talk back and forth. Very nice!)
Today, I sat between the two L's (Laurie and Lori) and Telma's daughter and friend and we chatted about all manner of things. One of the topics was the new Andy Samberg flick, "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping". Hilarious! We all agreed that Samberg was not usually a draw at the box office, but I assured them that the flick was worth their time.
(Honestly, I would never have seen it if not for my ex recommending it so highly. Thanks for the word up, Jeff! Christina and I both totally enjoyed its laugh-out-loud zaniness! That turned out to be a very good reason for getting wet on Monday afternoon!)
Now, I know inquiring minds want to know: What did I eat?

The personal-size Spanky's Special pizza, just as I had before!
This time, I was well aware of its true size, so I knew I would have plenty of this meaty, cheese-free treat for later.
I savored three slices, saving five more for breakfast over the next few days.
Such scrumptious birthday:58 fare it was - and will be!

Okay! I'd had dinner! Time for the movie!
Off I went to join Jim Reed and company at the coffee shop!
On May 25th, I had seen a Peter Cushing science-fiction piece called "The Ghoul". (Yes, it sounds like a horror flick, but it was made in 1975, so that made it fairly tame.) Such an entertaining time I had! Such excellent creepy music! And John Hurt was there as 35-year-old eye candy - nice!!! Sure, he played a military deserter and malicious groundskeeper, but he sure was fun to watch!
(smile)
Tonight, though, I felt as if I had been lured there under false pretenses by a bait-and-switch gambit. The preliminary press had promised the night would feature Jim Reed's favorite British dramatic actor, one who was "often compared to his contemporaries such as Ralph Fiennes, Tom Hiddleston, and Benedict Cumberbatch". Sounds well worth the price of admission, n'est-ce pas?
Turns out I was wrong.
We all were.
But we all graciously stayed as Jim played four episodes of "Toast of London", in which his featured star, Matt Berry, played the title role of a middle-aged, middle-class, middle-talent actor.
The series appears to be akin to "Seinfeld", but with British actors instead of American comedians.
Sigh.
The four episodes, in no particular order, were: "Match Fit", "Buried Alive", "Addictive Personality", and "The Moose Trap". I liked that last one best. Make of that what you will.
(smile)
At least I was in good company!

No comments: