Friday, June 3, 2016

going bananas with a brit!


Tonight marked my first game as a season ticket holder with the Savannah Bananas!
Yeah, yeah, their first game was yesterday, but I didn't make it there. After the density lab, I took advantage of the quiet and caught up on thanking the 117 facebook folk who sent me birthday:58 greetings.
(How very kind of all of them to take the time to wish me well!)
Then, I just went home. I knew of the rain delay and couldn't find out when the game had actually begun, so I took a pass.
I doubt they missed me, as there were more than 4000 fans there!

But tonight was definitely the night to be there!
It was Savannah Idol Night and I had especially marked that on my calendar. Singing!!! Savannah's own American Idol Lee Jean Jr. would also perform and was the celebrity judge. Pretty cool, right?
Then, to sweeten the pot further, my friend Cedric had called this afternoon with good news to share! He was one of the contestants!!!
Major coolness!!!
And guess what?

That 84-year-old transplanted Brit was the very first contestant!
I had been talking to Willie and Bruce when I heard the news.

Down the stairs I flew, from Willie's permanent bleacher seat into the box seats behind home plate!
Out came my trusty Samsung, snapping photos!

Out came his melodious bass, caressing the notes of an old song!
The crowd loved him!
They may not have known the tune, but they recognized good singing!




After, I joined him at the third base gate, and we stayed for some of the other contestants. All were younger, varying from not-even-teen to somewhere in their 50's. All had chosen much more current music (from the last decade).
And guess who else had come to the game?
Tis! And he brought his middle-school chorus with him! Woohoo!
They performed the national anthem tonight!

What about Cedric and I?
We sat in the very first row of Section J - that's my section - for the entire game!
How about that?!
And what a game it was!
Those college boys managed to score at least one run in every inning!!!
Well, OUR college boys did!
The other team got shut out, 13 to zip.
As in, shut out.
The Bananas never even had to change pitchers against the Redwolves.
Wow!!!
How wonderful that we two chemists had front row seats for the entire nine innings of that history-making game!

i thank You, God, for such a night and such great company!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Yo ho!!!
Here's the Brit singing our song!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGiydNw6Vrw

Oh, I do so miss the Sand Gnats... and REAL baseball!