Sunday, June 26, 2016

running time is seventy minutes


Honestly, that's all it was!
"Running Time" is only seventy minutes long.
I watched the 8 PM screening at Muse Arts and I'm already home again.
Even with Jim's twenty-minute or so preamble!

Why had the Psychotronic Film folks chosen this one?

Apparently, Jim likes it for two reasons.
Firstly, he is a big fan of Bruce Campbell. I honestly had not recognized the name, but when Jim mentioned "Burn Notice", I knew at once who the actor was. Apparently, Bruce and I share something in common. This is birthday:58 for both of us! Marvelous! His special day was earlier in the week, on the 22nd.

Okay, so Jim chose this obscure film from 1997 to mark Bruce's birthday. Got it. Back on topic, please...

Jim's second reason was his love of the writer and director, Josh Becker, who, by coincidence, will be celebrating his birthday:58 in late August. I wonder if Jim is planning something special for him?

(Sigh.)

No, that is entirely possible! He and Josh seemed to have hit it off nicely, with Josh agreeing to allow Jim access - possibly free - to screen more of him movies. That would most definitely be cool! I'll hope that PFS will bring this one... that would be grand!

Yes, my dear. What was so good about the one you saw tonight that you would jump into a seat for another?

So much!
I liked that Carl, the main character, had just been released from prison. Nice sense of humor he had!
I liked that the movie followed the next sixty minutes or so of his life as a free man.
I liked that his "buddy" had set him up with a hooker, so Carl could get a little action after five years behind bars.
I liked that it turned out the hooker was a girlfriend from Carl's high school days - a girl who still had a little crush on him.
I liked that Carl had Elvis sideburns.
I liked that the pacing was brisk and the action was madcap and no one really had time to think about consequences - they just flowed!
I liked that it seemed the cameraman was holding a hand camera and racing to keep up with them.
I liked that the former girlfriend had kept the high school letter jacket that Carl had given her - even though they had only dated for one week, way back then.
I liked that Carl and Janie reconnected, after all those years, and dared to start a new life together, even though they would be on the lam.

After all, who can resist a man with Elvis sideburns?
(smile!)

No comments: