Saturday, March 12, 2016

the edge of reality with Elvis, is it so strange?


Today, I heard two Elvis songs that were new to me!
Yes, yes, I can hear you now.
As Doug Jones' grandson said to him,
"there are no new Elvis songs. They're all old."
Sure, but that doesn't mean I've heard all of them!
The two in the post title are really good, so look them up and let me know if you have heard them before!

Of the eleven professionals and eleven non-professionals at the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest Round 2 today at the Ritz Theatre, I only missed two artists. Those were Paul Thorpe and Joe Bullock.
In addition, for some reason, Stewart Chapman opted not to perform today. (That's okay, he sang and danced in the squares later!)
Yesterday, I had missed the first four artists. I wanted to make sure I caught them this second time... and I did!
Today, the pro players were up first, backed by The Change of Habit Tribute Band for their songs. Yesterday, the amateur competitors had the live band, while the pros had the karaoke experience.
I didn't notice any change in performance. The audience was still there and that's the most important part for any performer.
You bet!
So, what did I see and hear?

Di Light had a mixed bag:
"You Gave Me A Mountain",
"Fever", and
"You've Lost That Loving Feeling".
Then again,
his set yesterday
was rather mixed, too!

Jeff Krick showed us he was a man who knew what to do with fringe!
Rawwwrrr! Fringe!
"Fairy Tales" do come true!
No need to feel "Hurt", dear.
"Make The World Go Away"?
Let's give it another whirl...

Cote Deonath, you Ocala treat,
"Can't Stop Loving You"!
Let's take the
"Mystery Train" to the
"Bridge Over Troubled Water"
and ride to the end
of the line,
shall we?

Then came my Brazilian
heart throb,
Sergio Queiroz!
What a lovely line his body makes!
I'll gladly go from
"Rags To Riches",
even though he's
"Never Been To Spain".
Oh, "How Great Thou Art"!

Travis Powell
sang about a
troubled "Runaway"
to his "Sweet Caroline",
but that caused
"Suspicious Minds".
Oh, no!

Andy King,
in a sharkskin suit!
Way to kick the
jumpsuit habit, man!
His movie medley definitely
struck a chord with me!
From "The Edge Of Reality",
he advised "Return To Sender".
I'm "Stuck On You"!

Doug Church had a cape!
"Believe Me"!
"What Now My Love"?
Well, how about a salute to the troops and to fellow veterans, followed by an Indianan's salute to "Dixieland"?
Yeah, that was quite nice!

Then the man from Washington stepped up!
That's the state, y'all,
that Mark Stevenz callz home.
"I'll Never Fall In Love Again",
he sang, unless he could do it
"My Way".
But "It's Midnight",
and you know what that means...


Then it was time for a longer break. All of the pros had finished their sets and the band was taking the rest of the afternoon off.
Me? I went out for lunch!
Back across the street for tofu in Brown Stew sauce!
When I came in, Dennis McFadden was on stage, greeting me with "Welcome To my World"! Then he sang "Hound dog" and was gone -
and I missed my chance for his photo!
I made sure that didn't happen again!

Alex Mitchell of South Carolina
went "Way Down" first.
Then "You Gave Me A Mountain" rose up.
Well, we'll "Just Pretend"
that it did,
if that's okay with you.
(smile)

North Carolinian Mark Gagnon definitely brought some humor to the stage!
That was not his original game plan, mind you.
It just turned out that way.
He'd gone to the after-hours party last night and worn his vocal cords to squeaky nubs.
"Stop, Look, and Listen",
in that "Kentucky Rain",
he advised off-key.
"I Really Don't Want To Know"
how many dropped notes
were scattered up there,
thank you very much.
What a show!
I had to congratulate him
on his perseverance
and work ethic!

Doug Jones advised us
"Don't Be Cruel"!
Let there be
"Peace In The Valley"
and in the Ritz!
"Is It So Strange"
that I love you?
Absolutely not!

Jason Sikes, a Georgia boy,
treated us to a costume change!
I completely missed the title
of his first number.
How did that happen?
I was trying to make sense
of his padded jacket.
Then, he took it off,
revealing the puffy-sleeved,
dark orange shirt
beneath it.
Yo ho ho! He's a pirate!
Jerry Seinfeld would have
definitely approved!
"Any Day Now"
he might well set sail!
Oh, come on, let's not have
Suspicious Minds"!
(smile)

Leave it to a Canadian
to get us back
on track!
Was he in the
ever-popular
white jumpsuit?
Not hardly.
Richard Wolfe
was a soldier boy,
young and energetic
and off to ride that
"Frankfurt Special"!
He's got a
"Pocketful Of Rainbows",
don't you know,
and a heart
full of love.
No "G.I. Blues"
for him!
(smile!)

Brad Mitchell
of Spokane, WA,
was bound and determined
to leave his mark
on Brunswick, GA!
"My Babe", he sang,
"The Power of My Love"
is more than "Words"!
Truth!

Dave Weaver of New York
- but not NYC -
took a more
serious approach.
"I've Lost You",
going "My Way", but
"You Gave Me A Mountain"
this time.
Oh, yeah!

Chris Holland from Pooler -
where it's cooler! -
showed up without his
green-lined cape.
But never fear!
Marie helped him get it on!
"Never Been To Spain", but I hear the "Promised Land" is "Dixieland"!
What a Southern set!

Dan Barella
of Staten Island -
that's NYC, y'all! -
had a more somber tone.
"Danny Boy", he sang,
"Let It Be Me".
Was that for the judges?
I promise you that
"You'll Never Walk Alone".

The final contestant!
Chuck Nance -
also known to me
as Elvis-older-version -
brought a lot of energy!
"You've Lost That Loving Feeling"!
No, I promise I haven't!
"Way Down", "It's Midnight" -
you mean in Australia?
Quite possibly!
(smile)

Back out into the warm sunlight!
Back to hear Elvis' music ringing out in the squares downtown!
Back to the kite-eating tree!
Hahahaha haha!
Actually, it's probably not
Charlie Brown's kite,
but I prefer to believe it is.
So, there!

There's Stewart Chapman,
as promised earlier,
singing up a storm!
And there I am!
That woman in the
purple top,
with the butterfly bag
and the red
Brad Mitchell scarf!
Such fun I had,
moving to the beat
and clapping along!

I tell you,
that young man
could really move!
He had more energy
than those Mexican
jumping beans do!
Very good singer, too!
I'll have to see
if he has a show
the next time I'm up
in Virginia.

Next up? Dinner!
The Southern Table, please!
They even had Elvis on the overhead music!
Delicious blackened salmon,
with hoppin' john,
bacon cornbread,
and the best asparagus ever!
The boiled peanut hummus
was pretty tasty, too!
Now, back to the Ritz!

No comments: