Saturday, March 26, 2016

goodbye to Gary



This afternoon, I attended the memorial service for my high school classmate, Gary Jackson.
Let me let that sink in for a moment.
That's what I had to do for myself, to have the message hit home.

We would have both been celebrating the 40th anniversary of our graduation at some time this year. I had been looking forward to seeing him, as well as other Jenkins Warriors of 1976, sometime this summer.
Instead, Gary passed away on Monday, leaving behind his mother, his stepdad, and his longtime partner.

I heard about Gary's passing through my church. We are both members of Asbury Memorial UMC.
I haven't seen Gary that much of late, as I have had sporadic Sunday attendance the past year or so. Even when I did attend regularly, our paths rarely crossed, as he would be up in the balcony, helping with sound or lights.
Every time we did see each other, though, he always had a cheerful smile for me, on his lips and in his eyes.
He always had a kind word, too, and warm hug.
Very nice!

I will miss those smiles most of all.

1 comment:

faustina said...

I had sent the notice of the memorial service to two fellow classmates.
Here is one response.

Her: Omg. Are we reaching the age where the only time we leave the house is to attend a funeral?

Me: Not me!
I've been to three Savannah Music Festival events in the last three days, as well as dinners with friends. I attend plays, go to movies, and laugh at the local improv groups, too!
And that doesn't include my travels to the Georgia Elvis Festival and elsewhere.
Life is short...