Sunday, March 6, 2016

why i love teaching chem1152



First, let me preface by reminding you, gentle reader, that I teach a two-semester survey of chemistry course. The general chemistry portion is taught in the fall, with the organic and biochemistry portion only taught in the spring.
I very much enjoy teaching the spring course for two reasons.
I already know most of the students...
and most of the students already know me.
(smile)
That fact alone decreases the tension for all of us.
After all, the material is assuredly difficult, but necessary to master if the student is to continue into the nursing program or into a variety of other health-related fields.
But this semester, the spring semester, their second block of chemistry, they know me and I know them.
That allows us a degree of familiarity and fosters good attitudes.
It also allows good humor to spring forth in unexpected places.
I kid around with them, inserting corny jokes as helpful mnemonics. This semester, I have also taken to awarding imaginary red balloons to the first student to answer a question correctly in lecture or lab.
Definitely fun!
A few of them have started responding in kind.
Like in Post-Lab Reports.
Like in this Post-Lab Report for the making of Soap.
The Report tends to ask questions which involve long-winded responses from the students. In other words, I do not usually enjoy grading it, as I have to read every word from every student.
Ugh.
But Kacy livened things up for me!
For the very last question, his response had me laughing out loud!
Hence, my reason for taking a break so I could share it here.

***** ***** *****

6. Soaps that have a pH above 8.0 tend to irritate some sensitive skins. Was your soap good enough to compete with the commercial preparations for sensitive skin? Explain.

"Unfortunately, the concoction that Ricardo and I made was too awesomely powerful for the delicate little flowers of the world to handle. While my partner and I were far too badass to notice any irritation, a soap with a pH of 10 likely wouldn't be acceptable for commercial presentation."

***** ***** *****

Superb!
I just wish I could justify giving him extra credit for making me laugh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the great information you have right here on this post.
I'll be coming back to your web site for more soon.

faustina said...

Kacy, I have to believe that was you that left that last comment! LOL!