Tuesday, March 29, 2016

hot sardines with the kitchen man at the darktown strutters ball!


Woohoo! This pairing of two hot singers at the Savannah Music Festival has been fantastic! I've heard so much old music tonight!
That's right: old music.
Like bluesy numbers from the early 1900's, first done by Esther Phillips and Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith!
Like Hot Jazz hits from the 1920's!
Right here at the Charles Morris Center!
Honestly, I think there may be an underlying theme to these concerts I've been blessed to usher.
"Keeping the old music alive" has been at the heart of the artists I've heard, be they Irish or Spanish or bluegrass.
Hallelujah!
I am completely in favor of that!

Catherine Russell is a proponent of that course of action, too!
She sings the music sang by her mother, Carline Ray, one of the International Sweethearts of Rhythym.
Catherine's dad was no slouch in the jazz world, either, serving as bandleader for Louis Armstrong.

With a musical lineage like that, of course she was incredible!
"Who Could Ask For Anything More"? Not I!
She told us "My Man Is An Undertaker". I thought, "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me"!
Let's go "Swing It" at the "Darktown Strutters' Ball", then have kisses "In The Dark"!
"Quiet Whiskey", I've got the "Aged And Mellow Blues".
All I ask is that you "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone".
I need to keep close to Dan, my "Kitchen Man"!
"I love his cabbage, crave his hash,
gotta have me some of that succotash!"
Love those words, y'all!
(smile!)

The Hot Sardines came on like a house on fire after the break!
The first song emphasized that they were here to play, in every sense of the phrase!
I don't know that many folks recognized it, as it was sung in French, but I picked right up on it!
"I Wanna Be Like You", aka "The Monkey Song", from "The Jungle Book"!
Hahahaha haha!
Miz Elizabeth can sure belt it out! And that seven-man band with her is amazing! Well, maybe I should amend that to a six-man band and a tapdancer!!!
omG!!! That young man was so very energetically graceful! I just loved watching him move!!!
I sat and danced in my chair through all of their numbers, as I had done with Miz Russell's music earlier.
"Why don't You Do Right"?
"Ain't Misbehavin'"!
"Everybody Loves My Baby" - especially when he's tap-tap-tappin' 'cross the floor!!!
He's the "talk Of The Town", but in a good way!
"People Will Say We're In Love" as we tango in "Oklahoma" to a new beat!
Then we'll have "Jelly Roll" in the "Summertime", when the livin' is easy...
Oh, yeah!

No comments: