Thursday, March 24, 2016

song 44 in the gloaming


What a time of the day the gloaming is... no longer day, but not yet night, it tends to foster a poetic turn in those inclined toward such things.
Song 44 speaks instead to a time deep in the night, a time when a dream girl visits a dreamer and shatters his peace. Repeatedly. And the dreamer can do naught about it.
Such a powerful, and melancholy, tune - and so mesmerizing!
I only wish I spoke Erse.
Still, it was easy enough to access the tale through the melody.
The same can be said for "The Pilgrim's Song" and "Allistrum's March".
All were heard at the Lucas Theatre this very evening.
Was I working as an usher for the concert?
Yes, I was, though not for the Lucas itself. The Savannah Music Festival opened today and I'm volunteering with them again. How very fortunate for me!
I had not been able to sign up for this particular evening's show, but I had called the festival organizer and told her I was interested in the one volunteer opening. Apparently, there was a wait-list for that slot.
Then, on Tuesday, Halle called me! Was I still interested?
Yes! Yes, I was!
I kept my dinner date with the bfe, though, forgoing the movie for some future evening.
This dusk, I belonged to The Gloaming.
I wouldn't have had it any other way.
(smile)
Even though their songs, blending poetry, jigs, and reels of the past, brought to mind my stepdad and my mother and my grandmama and my loss of their physical company.
I know they were there tapping their feet along with mine.
(smile)
A dime - otherwise known as ten dully glowing pieces of copper - assured me I was not alone.
Right place, right time...

No comments: