Tuesday, March 1, 2016

wonder woman, on campus



When I saw the email today, I knew it was meant especially for me.
A movie about Wonder Woman's origins???
And it was free???
And open to the public???
And it was on a TUESDAY???
Seriously, the notice was meant to bring me there!
A free movie on the one day in the week that I could be there - thank you, God!

I texted my home-girls: Christina, Sandy, Barbara, Carolyn.
Want to see a free film about Wonder Woman at 6 PM?
Carolyn and Barbara answered in the affirmative!
Game on!

After I was done at Savannah Tech, I headed to Armstrong.
What was for dinner at the Galley?
The menu online was the same as that of last week.
I opted to take my chances - and won!!
Ding, ding, DING!!!
Ropa vieja! Plaintains! Couscous-stuffed red bellpeppers!
Very nice!
And plenty of time for a very leisurely meal, too.

Why was the movie screening?
Well, it's National Women's Month, y'all!
"Wonder Women!: The Untold Story of American Superheroines" had been chosen for this first day of the month which was to celebrate all women.
And Wonder Woman, specifically, was named in the cast.
You know how special she is to me.
Now was definitely the time for me to learn more about the character!

And so I did.
Did you know she first appeared in December of 1941?
Well, she did, thanks to DC COmics.
My mother was four years old then.
My mother grew up with Wonder Woman in the world, fighting injustice and preaching the message of love, peace, and kindness to all.
And I started crying, softly, but steadily, for the first fifteen minutes of the documentary.
I am so grateful that Carolyn and Barbara were to either side of me, keeping me company, surrounding me with their love and friendship.

The film also talked of the Bionic Woman and had interviews with Lynda Carter and Lindsay Wagner. Gloria Steinem also spoke about the two superheroines and the feminist movement.
I learned that Wonder Woman was part of the Justice League.
I learned more about the Wonder Woman television show. (I was already in my senior year of high school and was off to the Navy after the show's first year, so I missed much of it.)
And I learned there is a Wonder Woman Day. I don't know when it is, or even if it still exists, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for more news.

And I'll renew my efforts to find those photographs of Mama in her specially-crafted Wonder Woman crown.
After all, I had promised to do so last month.

No comments: