Monday, March 7, 2016

why i love teaching chem1152 (II)


LOL!
I should have continued this on yesterday's post, but that was about soap.
These gleanings are from the Post-Lab Report on hand cream.
Yes, indeed, folks! My students make aspirin, soap, and hand cream in this semester's labs!
They'll be analyzing urine in another few weeks, too.
That one is always fun!
(smile)
No, it truly is!
And, believe it or not, I had a student one year who chose to abstain from performing that lab. Even though I assured her the urine was completely synthetic, she wanted nothing to do with it.
My guess is she did not stay in the health professions field.

Anywho, I was grading the PLR's for the hand cream lab and here are a couple of goodies!

For the sample made without mineral oil, Ricardo wrote:

"As you rub it on your skin, it seems to just sit on top of the skin like a glue. My skin was still dry. I was probably better off putting on glue. At least with glue I would have gotten a smooth layer."

For the sample made without triethanolamine, Madison wrote:

"Without it, the hand cream separates out into waxy/oily and is a frankly disgusting clumpy mess. Worst hand cream ever."


Thanks, y'all, for livening up your work and easing my load!

No comments: