Saturday, March 26, 2016

blue train on the heartbreak line!


It was a dark and stormy night...
Strike that!
It was an overcast, drizzly late afternoon...
Sure, that will work!
I was volunteering yet again for a Savannah Music Festival event! This time, though, there were two bands scheduled to share the stage.
Not at the same time, mind you.
The North Garden of the Ships of The Sea Museum played host first to Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver for their third appearance here in Savannah. This was my first time seeing this legendary bluegrass ensemble and I loved it! Such great ribbing of each other, fun banter, incredibly smooth a capella tunes, and songs that were lively even when they were sad!
I especially liked "I'd Just Be Fool Enough", "Country Store", and "God Can". But my absolute favorites were those with a little tongue in the cheek, like "Sadie's Got Her New Dress On" and "Blue Train". Bear in mind that I was recently in the company of Elvis, so a train on "the heartbreak railroad line" holds some definite appeal!
The band members even cut up with me!
I was working as the Door Wench for this show and it was the first time I've ever done that!
Door Wench... that's right! I gave myself that title and the boys in the band got a good chortle from it, too! Such a fun evening!
There was a brief intermission while Doyle and his crew moved off. Then the five microphones for Blue Highway were placed on stage and it was go time again!
This was their first time at the festival, but this band has 22 years of each others company. Great sense of humor with them, too!
"Boxers or briefs?" one asked another.
"Depends", was the deadpan reply, to the great enjoyment of all!
Many of their songs were old bluegrass standards, like those of Doyle Lawson and his group. Some of those were "Blue Ridge Mountain Girl" and "Someday" and They also had some original tunes for us, though, like "Just To Have A Job". My favorite "listen to the words" song was definitely "Tears Fell On Missouri", telling of a woman crying on a map "in their little Georgia home" while her husband cheated on her. Very nice!
But my favorite of all was "Wondrous Love". I kid you not, it brought tears to my eyes, it was that beautiful. Grandma would have loved it, I know she would have. It's a Sacred Heart song from the 1940's, so she would have known it well. After all, Grandpa was a traveling Baptist preacher...
What a perfect way to end an Easter Eve.
(smile)

i thank You, God, for having this show available for me.

No comments: