Wednesday, March 2, 2016

wonder woman, mine



Here she is, as promised, and as promised again: the Wonder Woman I was privileged to call Mama.
She looks so very young in this photo!
I don't recall the year, but I'm sure it was in the late 1970's.
As I was in my teens then, she would have been in her late 30's.
Her boss was moving up the corporate ladder and was taking her with him.
Smart man.
No longer would she be a department clerk, beholden to the needs of more than ten others in the office.
Hence forth, she would be Union Camp's mill manager's secretary.
Everyone was so proud of her!

She had been showered with jewelry, but her absolute favorite gift had been the Wonder Woman crown and arm bands. One of the guys had crafted the pieces especially for her, as they regarded her as their miracle worker.
I don't know where the superheroine gear are now.
I haven't seen them in years.
But I have these photographs to hold in my hands, these photographs that she held in such high regard that they had been safely stored all these years later.
I can almost hear her laugh...






My thanks to those who made that day so special for her: Ann Bell; C. J. Fields; B. Ray; Mike; RH; Billy Mintz; Andy Bowers; "Harry O"; Jack; Everett; John L; George Kelly; "PeeWee"; and Troy.
I'll treasure the card and the Polaroids, just as she did.

Now, pardon me while I go sit on the couch and sob.
How impossible it still is to believe she's been dead fifteen years.
Love never dies.

No comments: