Friday, September 11, 2026

equinox during a thunderstorm!

Not any ordinary equinox, but a fabulous one!
Just look at their travel van - it's gorgeous!
And who might they be?
I've seen them before with the Savannah Jazz Festival, but their shows are usually out of my budget these days.
Truth to tell, I was conflicted about going tonight, but I finally decided that Dane would want me to go and enjoy myself.
Thanks, you crazy dog!
The man standing up is Jeremy Davis, the band-leader, songwriter, and tenor sax player in this orchestra.
He even sang one of his own songs during the concert!
"Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled" is based on a Bible verse, which makes it quite apropos here at Asbury Memorial Church.
Beautiful!
This fellow is Clay Johnson, his best friend since the 7th grade.
For the most part, Clay is the entertainer and lead singer, though he also plays a trombone.
That's how the two met in Louisiana - both were taking band, both were in the same classes, and their moms decided they should be friends.
Pretty sweet story!
The concert tonight was titled "Broadway To Bourbon Street" and it was absolutely full of show tunes that I knew and loved!
I know the sanctuary would have been full if not for the wrong ticket purchase link being posted on facebook.
That means most of the faces were familiar and were Asbury members, too.
I guess the good part of that was I sat right behind the Townsend family - Karen, B-man, Mickie, and Bob - and they cheered the loudest when the guys said they were from their home state... and one was even from Mickie's hometown!
Clay and Jeremy said that was the first time they got a cheer for that town!
The above photo was taken after Clay had brought out his trombone for the last two numbers, all jazzy and straight from New Orleans!
They even led a parade of the brass section into the audience!!!
Woohoo!!!
What a thrilling two hours, made even more exciting as lightning flashed in the church windows!!!
All the rain was done by the time the concert ended, making it a cooler evening for those of us all jazzed up by the tunes!
There was no program, but I kept track of the songs.
Yes, I did!
Here's the setlist.
*****

Oh, What A Beautiful Evening
(paraphrase of song from "Oklahoma!")

Lullaby of Broadway

The Road To Hell - from Hadestown!!!!

Such A Lot Of Living To Do - from Bye Bye Birdie

The Street Where You Live

Step Out Of The Sun - from Dear Evan Hansen

God Bless America 
- talk of Sept 11, 2001 on this 25th anniversary  - 
b'way had folks singing this when they reopened, so, we all sang it tonight

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled
written by Jeremy - based on Bible verse that starts "Peace be with You"

9 To 5
tribute to Dolly Parton

Edelweiss - from The Sound Of Music

My Funny Valentine
instrumental ONLY! w Jeremy on his sax! gorgeous!

When You're A Jet
Clay in his first role, as Riff in West Side Story -
had to get dance lessons!

Here Comes The Hit Parade - Bourbon Street song start

If I Were A Rich Man - from Fiddler On The Roof
w trombone!!!

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You

Being Alive - from Company

Down On Bourbon Street
w parade into audience!!!

When The Saints Go Marching In

No comments: