Friday, September 25, 2026

time to play like doc frankenstein!

"Ooohhhh, science!!!"

You got it! The time has come for a bit of AA and AAA down in Georgetown, and I was once again allowed to bring the inanimate to life! BWAH HA HA!!

"Well, happy 5th anniversary of doing that, you mad scientist!"

Thank you, thank you very much, dearie! I was there at noon30 to start popping batteries into the backs, feet, and heads of Dawn's indoor ghouls. I even brought my own tweakers from my days as a CTM in the Navy! 

"Well, look at you, being all prepared to throw down with the best of them!"

Let's just say that after nearly two decades of having their battery compartment lids removed and replaced, some of those screws have become a bit more cantankerous than the bodies they power. I know my tools have pointed tips that can still pile drive when needed.

"And where those particular little goblins and clowns waiting for life to begin again, or were they already ready to track their prey and clang cymbals and laugh maniacally?"

Darn tootin' they were ready to rumble! Dawn was still working, so I was digging the monsters out of the bin under the table and sticking it to them. The monkey took a bit of finagling, but I finally succeeded in getting his arms aligned so the cymbals would be able to touch. Those four, plus two more stage left, took about 25 minutes.

"Really? That long? And how many did she have that needed batteries?"

Oh, the entire dining room table top gets covered in them! She did a few this time, but mostly it was my hands doing the slap and tickle with the beasties. They get new ones every year, too, so that means a bit more time involved, but at least the newer ones get up to speed a bit faster. Even so, I reckon it took almost three hours to get them ready for the BYOP coming on October 24th.

"That's almost exactly a month away! Why so early?"

As Dawn says, it's all dependent on the Koz. Whenever he decides to fetch all the bins out of storage determines what timeline she needs to be on. This year, her new boss has had her out of town a lot, so he went ahead and emptied out the storage earlier this week. Then he occupied his time at night reworking the wire harnesses for his outside ghouls - long story, suffice it to say he'll not be accepting help in the future with taking them down. So, as he says, since he was having to have his hands on all of them anyway, he went ahead and powered them up. In other words, that task is done. He was already in the process of hanging them when I arrived.

"So I see. Does that mean you won't be needed anymore to help set up for the big shindig later?"

Oh, no, I'll be back tomorrow, along with some of the other women. Dawn has recruited us to fill the goody bags with witches' warts, rat tails, monster scabs, ghost poop, and pumpkin teeth. Should be lots of fun! I am usually enlisted to help Chris on battery detail for the second outing, so it'll be a nice change to do this craft work. 

"Poop and scabs and what???"

BWAH HA HA!!! Don't be so literal, g'friend! Chocolate chips, licorice, Toast Crunch cereal, mini-marshmallows, and candy corn - treats, not tricks!

"That looks like a definite treat right there!"

Oh, yes, it was! Luncheon on the back porch, overlooking the canal and enjoying the slight breeze with Dawn and the Koz! She made Reuben sandwiches on marble rye and they were absolutely divine!!! In fact, I've come home with the halves of both of their Reubens, so I'll have another meal to enjoy them. Thanks, y'all!!!

"What a lovely break that must have been from handling monsters!"

It certainly was, but then it was back to the "AA Meeting", so to speak. One of my fb friends posted this t-shirt and I thought it was cute and saved it for today. "Hello, my name is Todd and I'm a battery." HAHAHAHA!!! Totally appropriate!!!

"Nice pun for sure!"

Okay, just came home to drop off the Reubens. Off to Sandfly I go!

No comments: