Saturday, September 5, 2026

flashback to dragon*con with alan ruck

That was Labor Day weekend of 2009.
It had been a hard year, with deaths of Daddy and Sam Johnson in April.
My BFF in Hiram had her family convince me to go with them to Dragon*Con that year, as it was Morgan's birthday and she wanted to be there and wanted me to be there with them.
The previous year had been their first time, and, having been introduced to the convention in the presence of Sam Johnson (my ex's "Sam"), the kids were hoping to continue and make that a new tradition.
So, I went, driving up to Hiram to be with "my" Sam.
Then I rode the train into Atlanta with the four of them: my Sam, Ernie the husband, and the two teens, Morgan and Zach.
 
Sam and Morgan were the only ones in costume, frolicking as mermaids. 
At least I had worn the "dragon" t-shirt I'd bought two in 2008 at the airport in Oakland, as a souvenir after my visit with Paul and Cathy.
That counted as a costume, right?
We arrived in time for the parade, then we had to get in line to buy our badges, so that pretty well ate up the morning.
Were there any Stormtroopers?
Of course there were! There are always members of Darth Vader's army at these things.
However, there was also someone from one of my favorite animated series.
It's Bender, the beer-swilling robot from "Futurama"!
He was much taller than he looks on the show.
Hahahaha! 
He was in one of the endless lines, just like we were.
So were a couple of atypical Blues Brothers, as well as folks from scifi films, like "Dune", and fantasy stuff, like "Alice In Wonderland".
The attire really runs the gamut! 
What was the big draw this afternoon?
I wish I could remember...
but that was 17 years ago...
and I haven't a clue.
 

Soon enough, we were back to the train station to return to Hiram.
Who is that boy with us?
Some pal of Zach's, but I have no idea what his name was.
And where are the pics of Alan Ruck?
Well, the panel with him was actually two days later, so my bad.
(smile!)
Never fear, Smith is here, and I'll be sure to post them asap, as those were on fb, too.

No comments: