Monday, September 14, 2026

adding my thoughts to telfair progress...


Elyse Gerstenecker sent out the email a week or so ago, alerting members of the Telfair Museum of a special need: input on the effect of current changes on visitors to the Telfair Academy.
She called these times of input "Listening Sessions".
Intrigued, I made the choice to attend today, curious as to what the Director of Curatorial Affairs was seeking from us.
Our first stop was the fifth floor for the "Craft Along The Coast" exhibit. 
I noted that it was too dark, the print on the placards was far too small, there was no discernible flow, and there were far too few crafts actually on display.
The silver items in the next room were lovely, but how did they tie in to the items in this first room?
Even though the teapots and utensils were supposed to be part of this exhibit, why were they chosen?
The next site for our scrutiny was on the 2nd floor, in what was once a dining room.
Now, the "African American Art" display is there... but it's mostly paintings by artists from that background.
I didn't know any of that, only finding out when I asked why the "Rhode Island" painting was there.
Oddly, each piece had two placards, one in English, the other in Spanish. 
Why was Spanish chosen instead of Swahili as the alternate language? 
I didn't take a pic there, but I snapped two at our next destination: the 1st floor.
I do so love this "basement"!
As I told them, the windows make it seem to be a garden plucked from antiquity, with the benches to allow meditation and contemplation amongst the statues.
Those bits of history make it a favorite with friends who join me in this serene place.
I especially love the Hermes, with the towel draped on his shoulder - nice curves!!!
But why is The Bird Girl down here with all this marble?
Then we all returned to the rotunda for some refreshment and to discuss our findings. 
But first, I wanted to know: where was "Belle of 1810"?
For Elyse, that sparked a memory of me asking that very question last month
She had an answer for me: 'my girl' was off on tour, traveling to other museums and gracing them with her presence.
She'll be coming home soon.
(smile!)
So how many of us were there today?
I'd say there was at least a dozen, with most being retirees from other states, now serving as docents at Telfair Academy.
I was not the only local, though, so that was good, but I doubt any of those present were under the age of 45.
I made the suggestion that the museum arrange its exhibits in a chronological fashion, much as the Charleston Aquarium is set up by type of water from ocean to mountain runoff.
As the basement is the sculpture garden, and the rotunda is the set of old European masters, the three upper floors could be a revolving series of newer art, with the newest at the top floor.
I could tell that was a novel idea, especially as it was jotted down.
In fact, Elyse was sure to made notes of all of our ideas, grateful that we had taken time to give the issue some thought.
This was the first Listening Session for members.
Another will be held on November 19th, then a third on January 24th.
She's being sure to capture ideas from other sources, too, such as 'Emerging Professionals", "Local Artists", "Parents", and the "General Public".
I just may join her again on one of these future dates.
(smile!

1 comment:

faustina said...

When I returned to my car, I had a $50 Parking Citation for being in a space reserved for docents and special guests.
Elyse had told me I could park there, as the handicapped space was taken.
When she saw the ticket, she offered to pay me back for it, but I would have to pay it first.
Instead, I appealed the ticket... and three days later, it was dismissed!
Thanks, Elyse, for backing me up!