Saturday, September 19, 2026

baseball movies, more or less

And they were all in my reward cache from Comcast! Lucky me!!!
 
"Oh, that is fortunate, as you're having a stay-cation right now."
 
That's not quite true... but, perhaps you're right. If I had my Saturn, I might have still gone to Savannah Stage Company's "James And The Giant Peach", or the Savannah Children's Theater's "Pete The Cat". As it was, I've seen both before, so there was no FOMO to be concerned about.
 
"FOMO??? Is that some really dirty acronym that I've missed?"
 
Hahahaha! No, dear, it's new-fangled slang for "fear of missing out". Apparently that's a thing. I guess the closest I come to that malady is in the winter when the lower temperatures are too threatening to my heart to allow me to venture out of the house. Though, this year, I may try hanging out at warmer places than my 60's house. According to research, a brief time in cold-er is better than an extended time being COLD. I'll be sure to keep my library card handy!
 
"That might be a really good experiment. Cabin fever is real."
 
Yes, it is, which is why I've been distracting myself with baseball. Nothing like a baseball game to make me feel like it's still summer!!! That's why I started off with 1989's "Major League" when I got home from dinner last night. Nice to see Charlie Sheen as the 'Wild Thing' on the diamond!
 
"Hahahaha! I remember that crazy haircut he had!"
 
Yep! Not the suave styling he had as 'Charlie Harper' fifteen years later! Then I launched into "A League Of Their Own", with Geena Davis, Madonna, and Rosie O'Donnell. That came out in 1992, the same year I got married for the second time. How about that? Go, girl power!!!
 
"Yes, dear! Gee, that movie is 34 years old!!!"
 
 I know. That's right past a third of a century!
"And then what's with this trio? That first one is a baseball movie, but not the other two."
 
Au contraire, g'friend. Let's consider, shall we? Yesterday, I watched the movie with men playing baseball, then the one with women playing ball. This morning, I started out with kids playing baseball as I watched "The Sandlot", which I have enjoyed pretty regularly over the four years since Comcast gave it to me.
 
"That one from 1993 is such a nice flashback to playing ball with my brothers in the lot across the street."
 
Good times, most def! That naturally led me to the hedgehog playing baseball, right? "Sonic The Hedgehog" knew the joy of watching the game and just wanted to be part of a team! Then he went and caused a power spike and overload that alerted folks to his presence. Oops! LOL!
 
"That has such nice scenes in San Francisco, too. Bonus for you!"
 
That it is! I'm so glad that Paul's triple bypass heart surgery went so well. You know what got him to go to his doctor? A weird ache in his left thumb. Seriously. His doc put him in the hospital for a series of tests, then they transferred him to the San Franciso hospital for the surgery.
 
"Good lord! This is all news to me!!!"
 
Don't you remember talking with him about it on August 8th? That was the Saturday before the Tuesday surgery. Then I'd talked with him again a week later, on the 15th, as he was in process of being discharged. Neither he nor Cathy realized how appropriate that date was for him to be going home. The 15th of August is their anniversary. I even suggested to Cathy that they have sushi to celebrate, or even ceviche, as either of those would be a healthy dinner. It all reminded me of Daddy and Bonnie, who claimed to only remember their anniversary because they would get a card from me! (smile!)
 
"Well, I'm glad to hear that Paul is doing well."
 
Oh, yes, me, too. I've been calling him and Cathy every other week to catch up. She's been put in charge of her mom's headstone. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Frank just took charge, and I do like what he had written on her marker.
 
"Shall we get back to this baseball film festival? You still have one more to go, and I look forward to hearing why it was included."
 
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? Of course it has a legit place in this group! How could you overlook the trio skipping school to watch a spring game with the Chicago Cubs? I never got to go to Wrigley Field, but I did drive past it on my return from the Field of Dreams. That was really awesome!!!  
 
"I totally get ya now. You went from a hedgehog enjoying a kids' game to high school kids enjoying a professional game. That circled it all back to "Major League"! Good move!"
 
Thanks! Now to celebrate the 60th anniversary of "Star Trek" with episodes on MeTV. Tonight, they have "The Trouble With Tribbles"!!! I'm so excited to see that again!!! (smile!)

No comments: