Friday, September 18, 2026

and now i have a cane...

Today, I had a long-awaited meeting with my PCP at Savannah VA.

The pain of walking with my right leg has been intense for at least a month, with me being reduced to a hobbling gait for the past two weeks.

The driving force has been my determination to have some relief at this scheduled 6-month checkup with Ms. Duchene.

And I have that now, in the form of a sturdy cane, a lesson in how to use it, an upcoming physical therapy appointment, and an X-ray at some near-future date to determine the source of the worsened pain.

Progress, however slow, is still progress, as I told everyone at the S&K Friday Fiesta gathered at Jalapenos tonight.

Tony and Laura very kindly gave me a ride so I could be with everyone.

They also managed to get me up into one of those high-top table chairs, with a regular chair to prop my legs and prevent sciatica.

They even bought my dinner!!!

I chose a fairly inexpensive dish, Enchiladas Caseras.

That has three enchiladas - one cheese, one shredded beef, one shredded chicken - as well as a Mexican salad and queso-topped frijoles.

Such a lot of food for that $12 price tag!

I ate every bit as I chatted with them, Smitty and Mary, Betsy and Jimmy, Mark, and Becca, down at the other end of the table.

I even came home with most of Laura's Chicken Mexi-Bowl!

That will be good while I'm stuck at home this weekend.

Say what???

That silly plastic grommet that joins the two metal parts of the Saturn's Shift Cable has failed, as they do.

Honestly, I've been expecting it to do so for a couple of weeks.

Remember, the last one was good for only a month.

This new one has been in since mid-July, so at least it lasted two months.

I was at Publix, picking up a few items while they were on sale.

i thank You, God, that I didn't park in the Handicapped space.

I would have been stuck there, as the gear shift was trapped in 3rd gear, which seems to be the favorite for the grommet to break.

As it was, I waited for about twenty minutes until the person parked in front of me left, so I could force my car to pull on through.

i thank You, God, that the 5 PM rush hour traffic had not begun.

i thank You, God, that it was 3rd gear, so I could take Truman Parkway to get me home again.

I pulled up in front of my house, not into the driveway, of course.

Without the ability to get into reverse, I would have been trapped.

Now, to await Monday morning, when Rincon Transmission will open.

i thank You, God, that this was a slow weekend for me.

Sure, I had things I could have done... but nothing I'd paid for yet, so if I missed it, at least I had not lost money.

That's always a blessing! 

No comments: