After two months of no sisterly love in Holliday Hall, we were all chomping at the bit to see each other again.
This 'return from summer' luncheon was a true celebration of the friendships within Sisters In Faith, and it was feast for the senses!
Eight of the women had agreed to serve as hostesses for this fancy, white-tablecloth, sit-down meal, each bringing their own china and table decor.
I chose to sit at Table 7, the fourth one on the left, and my "springtime" dress can be spotted in the aisle from my seat on the end.
Part of the reason I selected that table was very simple: the white china had the same octagonal shape as my china.
That's her at the other end of the table, and Emily Garrard - my theater-going friend - was sitting to my right.
Truth to tell, she was the third reason I opted for this table.
Catherine Gilbert, a colleague from Armstrong, was on my left, and that younger woman is a member of the Wesley Oak congregation.
She used to come to Asbury, until the young people she worked with went to Wesley; now, she has returned to Asbury, as that church is defunct.
Word is that the property has been sold, so that's a blessing!
Those are Connie and Madelyn "Mad Dawg", the Georgia Bulldogs fan!
She was a trip to be with today!!!
She and I had several things in common, as we get out of the house far more than many of the others.
Even with this worsened hitch in my giddy-up, I made sure to be here!
The food was prepared by professional chefs, just for us, and every bite let us know how very special we are.
Just look at that appetizer: bruschetta with Mediterranean salsa, topped with marinated Georgia shrimp... totally scrumptious!
When Carson Branan brought out a leftover plate of the summery delight, I graciously accepted it, eating every morsel!
The entree featured a rich quiche containing mushrooms, spinach, sun-dried tomato, and Swiss cheese in egg custard - fabulous!
That was accompanied by a mixed green salad topped with toasted Asbury pecans, cranberries, and balsamic vinaigrette - I would have gladly eaten seconds of that, too!
Ah, but then, how would I have room for that luxurious dessert?
Grand Marnier Chocolate Mousse, it was, with raspberry sauce and fresh whipped cream - I ate it in tiny bites to make it last as long as possible!
They were the owners and chefs at the Boar's Head restaurant until just recently when they retired.
Get this: they were born in 1959, the Chinese Year of the Pig.
No doubt that was the inspiration for the fine eatery's name!
Now, they're using their talents here and Asbury Memorial has been reaping the benefits all this year.
Today, they had their son, Carson, helping out, as well as his wife.
Kudos to all for spoiling us with this meal!
Kudos to Lynn Drake for the music from the Wesley Oak piano; to Tim Steinhauser for serving as the tuxedo-clad Maitre-d as well as the male component of the Holiday Hall Cafe Trio (along with Carmel Hearn and Kathy Solomons); and to Allexa Schlimmer for her vocal talents with the entertainment provided!
I don't know who was in charge of choosing which bits of Shel Silverstein's poetry would be used this afternoon, but I applaud the choices!
I can't say that I knew them all, but I definitely was familiar enough with the final one - "Moon-Catchin' Net" - that I was able to sing along!
I just felt the need to share this outing with friends with her.
The next time I head out there, I'll have some fresh flowers in hand, as those by the headstone are looking a bit beat from the summer heat.
There was one major change out there: the huge pine tree that had been a few sites down was gone.
Just a ragged stump marked where it had been.
Surprisingly, there was no damage to any of the markers, so perhaps it had been taken down instead of falling.
I'll have to check out the other sites when I return.
What a beautiful day this has been!
i thank You, God, that I was able to share it with so many others.








No comments:
Post a Comment