Friday, March 25, 2016

flamenco!



I snapped this while the guys were practicing, getting the sound checks done before tonight's concert.
Yep, you guessed it: I'm ushering tonight!
This time, I'm at the Trustees Theatre, though. That's the beauty of volunteering at the Savannah Music Festival - you travel around to so many different venues! Plus, you get to meet so many other folks who want to give back to the community, too.
Tonight, Kim was our house manager, as she had been last night at the Lucas. Very good! I worked as an inside usher downstairs, helping folks to their seats. Val and Claude worked the door, while Cliff and Holly and I shined our lights on the aisles.
And what a great show it was!
You see, today also happened to be Vicente Amigo Girol's 49th birthday. He's the central guitarist in the photo above.
He's also regarded as the flamenco guitarist, nonpareil.
I believe being in Savannah in the spring, for his most special day, provided an extra gift of energy to his fingers!
I wish I could say which tunes he played, but he did not introduce them. The few times he did speak, when introducing fellow musicians intermittently on stage with him, were only in Spanish and I did not catch the words.
Such a shame, really! One song in the middle of his 90-minute set was so poignant you could feel the longing his strings placed into the air... oh, my, so very beautiful!
I loved the end of the show, too. He and the others had returned for an encore. I had my eyes closed to fully enjoy the notes, but eventually I had to open them. Something had changed...and I saw the lights fading out on the stage in tandem with the lowering in volume of their playing.
It was truly a magical way to end a concert! It was akin to them walking off into the night, still strumming their instruments.
Wow.
Now, the show has ended and dinner beckons.
I'll be joining mi dos amigas at El Paso, where I have been promised good company and fish ceviche!
Hasta luego, mi caridas!

No comments: