Sunday, March 13, 2016

(georgia) rain keeps falling down, and up ahead's another town


Thankfully, I was not walking through the rain, in Kentucky or elsewhere, until the end of this final day of the 4th Annual Georgia Elvis Festival.
Even so, the rain was fairly moderate, so my small cats-and-dogs umbrella kept most of it off.
Mostly.
(smile)
I missed most of this morning's
Elvis Gospel Contest.
I had a restless night with the pain in my hands, so when the Rainbow Pharmacy appeared right on my path, I sought help.
Nice place!
With the recommended ibuprofen in hand, I continued on to the Ritz, arriving just as Irv Cass was singing a final hymn.
Drats. That meant the judging was in progress and I had missed the ETAs vying for the prize.
I had missed Stewart Chapman as he sang "You'll Never Walk Alone".
I missed Richard Wolfe's beautifully sung "No One Stands Alone". He'll be one to improve with age, I know.
I missed Travis Powell, presenting one of his favorites, "Stand By Me", as well as "He Touched Me".
I missed Sergio Queiroz, making up for a late entry and pleading "Help Me" to God.

Then the judges were done!
I was there as the ever-smiling Brazilian, Sergio Queiroz, was named the winner!
Such a cheerful man he is!
I would have loved to hear him sing "How Great Thou Art" once more... and I can!
So can you, at this link!

Afterward was a two-hour break before the Final Round of the Ultimate Elvis Competition.
What to do until 1 pm?
The weather was currently nice, so I opted for a walk in this downtown area... and ran into Cody Ray Slaughter, in conversation with a friend by one of the squares.
Should I ask for a photo?
Should I not?
I did!
So glad I manned up and asked for it!
I can be a bit shy and star-struck sometimes!

I continued my walk, exploring the other squares and shops, beaming as I did so.
(smile)
Lunch was at Basil Thai & Sushi bar as soon as it opened.
Delectable! Beautiful!
I was in such a good mood that I gladly moved to a new table so mine could be used for a large family gathering!

Back at the Ritz, it was time for the first non-pro to take his last shot at the title!
Brad Mitchell roared on with the "Mystery Train" through the "Kentucky Rain"!
"It's Midnight"!
"Believe Me" - he was so incredible!
Hope he got his black pantsuit back.
(smile)
Dan Barella's four-song set was next...and was a little off pitch. Maybe he sang too much at the Wrap Party last night!
Even the "Promised Land" and "I Need Your Love" weren't quite right.
"Never Been To Spain" and "How Great Thou Art" couldn't save him, but he was still in the top five!

Richard Wolfe hit the ground running, with a "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" at the "Heartbreak Hotel"!
"Are You Lonesome Tonight?"
Not me! Not as long as there's a "Hound Dog" around!
He was the only one who was not in a white jumpsuit - quite a distinction!

A quartet of songs about love were granted by Alex Mitchell.
"Let It Be Me", you know
"I Can't Stop Loving You"!
If I seem "Hurt"
it's because I
"Can't Help Falling In Love"!

Jason Sikes then blasted on with energy to spare, clad in what seemed to be the requisite white jumpsuit!
"C.C. Rider" and "Poke Salad Annie" were such a dynamic duo!
Then came the plea to "Please Love Me", but it was too late.
"Suspicious Minds" had already driven them apart!
Jason was the only one of the non-pros to give out scarves.
See the blonde woman in the red top, nearest to Marie?
She sat at the end of my row.
She managed to get a scarf from almost everyone who did the scarves!

After the fifth non-pro had sung, and before the first pro came to the microphone, a pause allowed me to get this photo with Richard Wolfe.
Hooray! Isn't he lovely?
I don't think he looks particularly like Elvis, but he sure can move like him and he sounds very close!
Then it was time to be back in my seat!
I opted to simply listen this time, not taking photos of the ETAs during their performances.
Di Light was the first man up, "Believe Me" "My Boy"! No need for "Suspicious Minds", just believe that "I Need Your Love"!
The Ocala wunderkind Cote Deonath put on the most energetic set! "Hurt"? You bet! His baby was "Wearin' That Loved On Look"! But he'd go from "Rags To Riches" to get back to "Poke Salad Annie"!

Then Andy King came on and I just had to have his photo!
"Walk A Mile In My Shoes", he sang,
as I walked up to take the shot!
When you "Gave Me A Mountain",
I climbed it "My Way" and went
all the way to "Dixieland"!
How incredible to hear this
German man voicing the battle song
of the South!

Doug Church proclaimed himself to be "Burning Love"! "We Can Make The Morning", he sang, because you know I "Can't Stop Loving You"! Together, we can dream "The Impossible Dream"!
I'm with you, man!
Oh, yeah!
"You've Lost That Loving Feeling", Travis Powell told me. Just because I've "Never Been To Spain" doesn't mean I can't recognize a "Bridge Over Troubled Water" when I see one. Oh, "How Great Thou Art"!
Now what to do while the judges finalized the votes?
Fortunately, I was present and in my seat still when Tim E. Hendry came back on stage in just a shirt and jeans to regale us with song! "I Got A Woman" was done down-home style! Then he sang a B.J. Thomas number, "I Just Can't Help Believing". Magnificent!
That song is such a long-time favorite of mine!

At last, the votes were in!
Di Light was pronounced the big winner in the pro division!
Here he is, being congratulated by emcee Irv Cass.
The winner of the non-pro ETAs was
- you guessed it! -
Brad Mitchell!!!
How cool is that???
(smile)

My angels must have been guiding my camera since the very beginning of the weekend on Thursday night!
My angels helped me travel safely home again, too, through intermittent rain and constant traffic.
There followed dinner with my first niece when I reached town, at one of her favorite comfort food places, Olive Garden! I like it there, too.
(smile)
i thank You God, for granting me this adventure with Elvis and my loving niece to welcome me home again!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Silly me! I left you hanging there, didn't I?

Non-Pro division: 1) Brad Mitchell, 2) Jason Sikes, 3) Alex Mitchell, 4) Richard Wolfe, 5) Dan Barella.

Pro division: 1) Di Light, 2) Doug Church, 3) Travis Powell, 4) Cote Deonath, 5) Andy King.

Maybe you should go next year for the 5th Annual, eh?