First, I was the only volunteer usher for "Night And Day: Cabaret with Samantha Talora", as the other three had opted for the salon event later tonight.
Yesterday, I'd worn my green, flowing dress, with my hair in a high ponytail.
Today, I took my hair down after I arrived.
I wore Mother Pat's summery Hawaiian dress with the golden dolphins.
Nice to give the audience something different!
Second, this event was actually double-billed, as it also featured Assaf Gleizner on the piano, as well as his talented arrangements of some of the music.
Remember, this event was titled "Night And Day".
Well, it turns out that the singer knew of two songs with that title, but different lyrics.
When she'd asked Assaf which one he'd prefer, he replied, "why not both?"
So that's what they'd done, blending the Cole Porter oldie with a much more recent one by Roxanne Seeman and Billie Hughes that Bette Midler sang about 30 years ago.
Magnificent fun!!!
When I talked about the mashup afterward with Assaf, I just had to share the one I'd done some years back!
He thought "I Feel Pretty" and the James Brown funk was an exciting idea!
Maybe I'll hear that being played at a future SVF concert?
That would be grand!!!
Samantha wove a story for us from the songs tonight.
She mentioned that she'd been on an episode of "Stories From The Stage", one of the short PBS programs I enjoy.
I'll have to see if I can find the one she was on!
That was early on in her time of saying "Yes" to scary things.
My guess is that change in quest began after her younger brother's death from cancer in 2013.
I know very well how that can change one's perspective.
Her story in song carried us from childhood ("Little Voice") to a change in attitude ("I'm Not Afraid Of Anything") to a realization that there will always be differences between people ("The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener" and "The Secret Of Happiness").
Those last two made me think of Erma Bombeck and her humor!
After that biographical intro, she then sang a song for her dog, a song for her husband (that involved a gender swap from the Ray Charles version), and a song in memory of her brother.
Those were all straight from the program... but then came a change!
Instead of the listed tune, she sang one of my favorites: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - oh, yes, so beautiful it was, too!
Then she performed the next listed one... and encored with "Oh Shenandoah" instead of the posted Simon & Garfunkel song.
Nice change, y'all!
Yes, this has been a pretty amazing day, with plenty of lovely surprises!
(smile!)



No comments:
Post a Comment