Thursday, August 13, 2026

i would pay good money to hear her as the phantom...

Those are the exact words I spoke to Liz Lang after the cabaret tonight.
I was there at the Unitarian Universalist Church downtown, having my second stint as a volunteer usher for the Savannah VOICE Festival.
This had been a surfeit of sopranos!
Titled "Queens Of The Night: Sopranos On Stage", it featured three women who had all won the American Traditions Vocal Collection - Milnes American Opera Award.
Those would be Kyaunnee Richardson, Liz Lang, and Nia Drummond.
 
They had made a grand entrance, all brandishing swords and storming the stage, as "The Ride Of The Valkyries" swirled in the air - huzzah!!!
I had to smile, remembering the quest on TBBT to retrieve Sheldon's stolen battle ostrich from some guy named Todd Zarnecki.
(smile!
Once they attained the stage, though, their demeanor changed!
"Three Little Maids From School Are We" they sang, coyly peeking from behind swords that had become colorful parasols!!!
Hahahahaha!
There followed a string of songs, some solo, some as a trio.
My favorite from the youngest, Nia, was "Ride On, King Jesus" - I'd never heard it before and it was fully of energy and happiness!
My favorite from Kyaunnee was "Summertime", from the musical, "Porgy And Bess" - I do so love that song!!!
But my favorite from the entire hour-long concert was that done by Liz.
You could have heard a pin drop, as everyone in the sanctuary paused their rustling and shifting to listen.
It was "The Music Of The Night", with her as the Phantom of the Opera!!!
Wow!!!
The three women had talked onstage about the roles they had yet to play, the roles that were their dreams.
Nia had said Maria, from "West Side Story".
Kyaunnee wants to be Sweeney Todd, from that musical.
And Liz wants to be the Phantom.
Yes, please!!!
As I told several, there's no reason the ingenue couldn't be a man, which would certainly set her up in the eponymous lead. 
Yes, I would pay good money to be in the theatre for that...

No comments: