Monday, August 17, 2026

love in the mail, sweet hopes for school in the mail...

I just had to paraphrase the Cole Porter song!
appetizing young love for sale
love that's fresh and still unspoiled
love that's only slightly soiled
love for sale."
Catchy little tune from the 1930's!
Of course my version would be just a bit different.
"Love in the mail,
sweet hopes for school in the mail,
mail that's fresh and still unspoiled,
mail that's only slightly soiled,
love in the mail."
It's been a while since I posted anything to my greats in Hinesville.
However, one of the nonprofits I support had sent me four postcards...
each with different images of nature and sayings...
and I have stamps...
so off they went this afternoon!
How surprised they will be!
I consciously chose to write a different message to C-A-L-M, too.
I know they'll be comparing notes, so each had a tailored letter.
 
Chloe received the Sea Turtle, with its advice to 'stay calm under pressure', 'swim with the current', 'think long term'.
I started her letter with "How is my favorite 2nd-grader doing?", then continued with talk about her reading "more about this wonderful world", finishing with a request that she "listen to your teachers, as that will be helpful, too".
I find it remarkable how well she reads!
I'm hoping that she might be able to help Miyah with that school subject.
For Alyssa, I chose the Polar Bear, whose advice was "learn some good icebreakers", "keep it cool", "be fearless", and "sniff out opportunities".
In her letter, I wondered what classes will be different from 5th grade.
Does she have "dancing? Playing an instrument?"
Then I told her, "whatever it is, I know you are up for the challenge!"
I know she will be, too!
Leila required a different tack, so my choice was the Penguin, who said she should "dive into life", "find warmth among friends", "keep your cool", and "go the extra mile."
She doesn't handle change well, so I wrote that I hope she is "enjoying her new teachers", and that it was wonderful to "see friends from last year" and to anticipate making "new friends" so they can "study together".
Here's hoping that will be the case.
Then there's Miyah, advanced to 4th grade but still challenged by reading.
The Glacier was perfect to advise her to "channel your strengths", "keep moving forward", "avoid meltdowns", and "be cool"! 
In my letter, I told her "the books will be more fun for readers like you" and "that means you will learn more about the world and that is very good!"
I finished with "Knowledge is power!"
Here's hoping all will have a successful year!
Now to catch the mailman and get ready for Music Bingo with my Monday night friends!
(smile!)

No comments: