I had been sure that I'd be seeing an opera tonight. The Savannah VOICE Festival always gives us an opera near its end, you know. For this SVF14, the choice was Mozart's "Die Zauberflote", usually simply called "The Magic Flute". Hooray! I'd never seen that one, though I have heard some music from it. That was a very funny piece called "Pa-Pa-Papageno", featuring the bird-catcher, 'Papageno'. Evan Stark did a wonderful job in that role!
"So you did get to see that opera! I'm so happy for you!"
Well, as much as I'd looked forward to it, I hadn't realized that it's a musical, not an opera. During the show, I thought perhaps someone had restaged it, with lots of talking between the songs, to cut down on all the translation. See the songs were all in German, with English subtitles displayed on the film screens at Asbury Memorial Church. You follow?
"Of course. That's how it's been done every year in the past. That's why you made sure to bring your glasses this time."Correct about me bringing my glasses, but they don't always have an opera. Sometimes they perform a musical instead. I had misunderstood and thought tonight's performance was to be an opera, but that isn't what I got. And here's the thing: that's how it was composed and presented back in September of 1791, just two months before Mozart's death. "The Magic Flute" was a collaborative work with Emanuel Schikaneder for his theatrical troupe. They didn't call it a musical, though, but the German term: singspiel. Literally, that's a "singing play", i.e., a musical!!! How about that!!!
"That's amazing that musicals go back that far!"
Yep, just by a different name! "The Magic Flute" was actually a fairy tale, written to show that things aren't always as they appear. In the first act, we learn that the 'Queen Of The Night' isn't the good guy but the bad one! I'm glad Melanie Spector was able to explore her evil side for this one! Then there were Benjamin Sokol as the supposed bad guy, 'Sarastro', with his confused henchman, 'Monostatos', played to hilarious consequences by Henry Drangel!"Was that Melanie coming down the stairs?! What great makeup and poise!!!"
Yes, that vision in black was her! Her headdress even had a light in it for a spooky aura. The guy is Eric Sebek, in his first theatrical work with SVF! He told me the other night that he's been part of this festival for eight years, but this is his first role - he was so excited about it! That's because he played 'Tamino', the lead role!!! He was a prince in search of 'Princess Pamina'... what silly, rhyming, names! Emma Petersen played that role. Together, they were quite charming!
"Oh, I remember him from last year! Him and his brother and their dad!"
Yes, and his dad was there tonight, too, to watch Eric shine! I had so much fun with this one, and loved working as the directional wench. That volunteer position usually goes to Lonnie Breslow, but he and Penny were ushers this time. Kim Owens handled the lame, granting them special access. However, I think I'll try for that spot at the foot of the stairs again. That made me privy to first sight of all the singers after their transformations into the characters. Yes, please!
"Good for you! I hope that's how it will work out next year for you."
Thanks! I felt I was definitely in the right place, right time! My odometer even tried to confirm that for me, but I missed the special mileage reading by ten miles. My guess is I had "247247" back at the church, but didn't see it when I parked. Still "247257" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? (smile!)



No comments:
Post a Comment