Wendy Taylor Pena has died.
Like Mama, she was 63 years old, just one year into retirement.
I know she had looked forward to being free from a work schedule, just as Mama had been, so it's sad that she did not get time to enjoy it.
I'm glad I chose to retire eight years ago.
Right now, he's 43, about the age I was when Mama died.
Liam Pena, her younger son from her marriage to "Jeff's Andy", is 26.
They're both in this photo: Liam, Conor, one of Andy's brothers, Andy, Sheryl, and the funeral director at Fox & Weeks.
I took that after the service, and after the receiving line had ebbed to a close with two of Andy's brothers.
I haven't seen most of these folks since Andy's father died.
That was near the same time as when I retired, too.
The service was short, but quite heartfelt, with streaming provided for Wendy's sisters in England and Canada.
Lionel Ritchie music filled the air, as that had been her favorite.
I don't recall what the first song had been, but I caught the other two.
Conor then spoke in his mother's memory, in front of her open casket.
He came and sat again between me and Ashley on the front pew as "Truly" began to play.
As the song ended, he rose again.
This time, he shared a message by speaker phone from Susan, Wendy's younger sister, up in Canada.
Then he sat with us as "Easy" concluded the service.
There was no burial, as Wendy will be interred in English soil, by her Mum.
We all went over to the house Wendy had lived in, and renovated into her own, since her wedding so many years ago to Andy.
I'd been there a few times, but not since her Mum had died.
There's a British wives club in town, and she had been part of that for years.
I met Conor's dad, Barry, for the first time today.
It was good to talk with the family, and I stayed for about two hours, trying to provide comfort and some joy.
When I left, some younger folk - friends of Conor - were on their way, and he had just returned from a pizza run.
I wish them all strength in the coming years.
Now, I need a little something to release some tears.
"Click" should do the trick for me - that movie about second chances always makes me cry.


No comments:
Post a Comment