Tuesday, August 11, 2026

party of 1 at 2FP

Even though it was announced last week that this week's meeting would be on Tuesday, not Wednesday, no one seemed to have listened except me and Brenda.
She had even updated the google calendar to reflect the change, but she never made it there, due to weather where she was.
As I told her, it wasn't even raining there at 5511 Montgomery Street, at the Two First Posts of Georgia building.
I should know.
I'd arrived just a few minutes before 6 PM, hoping that the American Legion space would be already open from the summer swelter.
Ah, silly me.
I sent out texts to make sure others were on the way.
Brenda Pough was the only one who responded.
So, I set about to wait them out.
That meant walking around and taking photos, naturally.
I am, after all, the Historian for Post 36 and I've been documenting the progress of work at this building for several years
The following are what I noted during the 45 minutes I was there.
 
First, the dumpsters have been delivered, so that's good.
Republic will be handling waste management, as they are the company of choice for JKLM, LLC, the canteen managers.
I thought there was to be one dumpster for recyclable materials, but maybe not?
These both seem to be for trash. 
Justin has been busy with this change order from a month or two ago.
He's poured the concrete pad behind the dumpsters, as well as the long concrete walkway that runs up to the back door of the canteen.
The rain almost every afternoon had slowed him down, but at least our few days of just sun have allowed the work.
Next up will be a gated fence to keep out anyone who might illegally use those dumpsters or the forthcoming grease trap!
That means yet another key on Eric Bolden's key ring, as Building Manager.  
So far, he has the keys to both the front and back doors of both 5509 and 5511, as well as to the offices of Post 36 and Post 500, the storage closet, the conference room, and the event ballroom.
That's 9 keys so far.
Glad that's not my responsibility!
I've done my duty, and then some, this evening.
At 6:48 PM, I sent out the following to the other TFP members.
"As no one else has yet arrived, I am taking my leave. 
Hoping to see all next Tuesday."
Anyone else hear those crickets?

1 comment:

faustina said...

At some point, the google calendar has changed.
The Planning Committee of Two First Posts will now only be meeting on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month, into the foreseeable future.
Well, possibly.
We may have an emergency meeting to settle the issue of whose names will be on the liquor license.
I maintain that it should have both TFP and WTF.
That way, if in the future WTF leaves, TFP will still be able to have alcohol sales.
That was the upshot of the textversation between midnight and almost 1:30 this morning.
Wow.
I though that had been decided months ago...
but Larry Jackson seems to have only listed WTF on the application.
Really?