"Beg pardon? I thought you weren't going to that because you've seen that musical so many times already."
Yeah, well, I changed my mind. So glad I did!!! This was another summer camp experience at Savannah Children's Theater, akin to last night's performance, but this time with 6th to 8th graders. That meant preteens, for the most part, would be starring in the show!
"So, a bunch of kids the ages of your twin great-nieces, right?"Exactly! Alyssa and Leila are 11-year-olds, heading into 6th grade this week, and will be 12 years old in October. They would have been eligible to be in "Disney's Newsies, Jr." along with these other kids! Even at that age, they would still be several years older than the children the story is about. But there's something to be said for having children play children of the same age! I know I said that about the "Romeo & Juliet" by the Garrison Arts Academy students, but it still holds true.
"I totally understand. They add a dash of reality to the mix."
Exactly! They were portraying orphaned and destitute children trying to make enough money to eat by selling newspapers and shining shoes, being mindful to keep enough set aside to purchase the next day's supply of materials. Living hand to mouth, it was an incredible hardship when the cost of the 'papes' went up a dime. That was a lot of money in the 1890's! A reporter encouraged them to go on strike to bring attention to the problem, so they did! What an amazing thing that was: a bunch of pre-teens, scattered all over New York City, banding together to try to cause change for the better... wow!
"Wow! And did you recognize any of the actors?"
Will Johnson was in it as 'Crutchie', best pal of 'Jack Kelly' (Asa Boothe), the ringleader who had a truant officer always on his track. Excellent! Grace Irwin was 'Katherine Plumber', would-be writer who broke their story to the "Sun". She was also the daughter of publishing magnate 'Joseph Pulitzer' (Cormac Buck), the greedy gus who had upped the price to newsboys, leading to the whole issue coming to a boil. The leader of the 'Bowery Babes' was Tenley Wright, as 'Medda Larkin', who could be counted on to give 'Jack' and the others a safe haven. Other names I recognized were Juliet and Hannah Roach, Zac Berwitz, Pearl Brown, and Lott Byrd.
"I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to know them all better during this next season's productions, either with SavChTh or the theatre groups of their schools or both!"
Most def something to look forward to! Okay, gotta go see some films!


No comments:
Post a Comment