Friday, August 7, 2026

eye of the hurricane...

"He does look a bit like the center of all activity, and all he is doing is sitting on that comfy couch at the back of the Telfair Rotunda."
 
Exactly!!! I'm so glad you see that, too.
 
"Hey, the eye cannot help but be drawn to Sherrill Milnes. As well as being world-renowned for his opera prowess, he's a tall fellow, and holds himself with quite a regal manner."
 
I agree. I do hope some of the others with cameras caught that. Then again it was serendipity that I took the shot. He and I kept catching each other's eye, as we do, and I'd pointed the Alcatel lens at him a time or two. But someone would come up and ask me something and I'd get distracted. As for him, there was a steady current of people headed toward him for a few words, or away after they'd shared a moment. I finally just clicked the shutter!
  
"So, just why were you at this offering of the 14th Annual Savannah VOICE Festival? I know you don't have that kind of money at hand."
 
I was a volunteer usher!!! I dared myself to sign on for some shifts, after Torlef Borsting, the Executive Director, contacted me to see if I was available. I only signed up for this one this weekend, to see how it went, but I have a full slate at the end of next week.
 
"Whoa, girlie! Even with that hitch in your giddy-up still?"
 
In spite of that!!! I'm not sure that anyone much noticed my hobble, though if they did, they didn't say anything. I was so proud of myself for keeping that on the down low! I'd taken an acetaminophen around 3 pm, then another around 5:30 pm, an hour before showtime. That near double hit worked pretty well! Though it was starting to wear thin by show's end at 8:30 pm, making that trek back to my car a bit rough. But I persevered!!! I am so proud of myself!!!
 
"I'm proud of you, too, honey! I know it really hurt your psyche to not be a volunteer for the Savannah Music Festival this year."
 
Yes, but a good bit of by absence there was due to that inguinal hernia repair surgery and the recovery period after. I didn't even drive for a week! For this festival of opera, I was determined to try to be a volunteer again... and I have succeeded!
 
"That's great news! Even better that no one commented on your lameness. And just what was this show tonight?"
 
"A Night Of Rising Stars"!!! This was the first show of the festival, too! They've already had two of the "Masters In Voice" programs this week, with those during the day on Wednesday and Thursday. But Maria Zouves made a big deal of this being the inaugural event for SavVoice14! This was primarily a showcase of the new talent from this year's singers, but there were a few from last year sprinkled in. Like Juan Johnston-Chavez!!! Remember that sweet, and oh-so-helpful, baritone? He finished up the first half of tonight's program with "If Ever I Would Leave You"... and I could swear he was singing it straight to me! How about that? We even talked about the musical "Camelot" which was the source of the song, and it turns out neither of us have ever seen it! Maybe I need to arranged a movie date so we can remedy that. I wonder if comcast has the movie version of the musical?
 
"Oh, girl, you are too funny!"
 
Hey, I can be his dear Auntie while he is around here.Though I would imagine he has a few of those already. Get this: he remembered my name! Like, early on, well before the show began. It took me a minute to recognize him, but when I did, I totally did. You know?
 
"I do. Did you have any other moments with folks there?"
 
Well, sure! Lani Winskye, the VP of Operations, was super glad to see me volunteer again! She made sure Ashley Nunez, in charge of Patron Services, knew she could count on me, and put me to work at once stuffing programs. It wasn't even 5 PM yet! (smile!) But I think one of the favorite people I saw tonight has to be Jessica Ann Best. Remember her?
 
"Hey, that's her curly blonde mop in the center of that group shot, isn't it? I'm so thrilled to see her performing still! What was the song?"
 
"The Sound Of Music", of course!!! (smile!) They were finishing the rehearsal and I just couldn't stay downstairs any longer! So I was lipsyncing along with her, hands in motion, and she smiled at me the whole time - fabulous!!! And that's 22 other singers up there with her for the kind of ending that brought everyone to their feet at the end of the second half of the show. Talk about a showstopper!!! Wow!!!
 
"Well, I'm so glad this has been a good first venture back into the volunteer life!"
 
Me, too, g'friend, me, too. I have so missed this!!!

No comments: