Wednesday, August 12, 2026

girl scouts, sciifi, and pizza w a*list

Why didn't I just include those first two items in the A*list genres?
Because they weren't seen as part of that AMC dance card, silly!

The first was seen at NCG Cinema, as AMC had shown me the preview, but never, ever, brought the movie to its screens.
I guess I'll have to clarify that issue for Trey!
"Cookie Queens" followed four girls in different troupes as they set their goals... and met them... and surpassed them!
The documentary was also a realistic look at the stress not only on the girls, but on their parents.
I would have loved to have shared that with the Girl Scouts in my life!
As it was, I almost missed it.
Had I not looked at the listings on Monday night, I would have!
Glad I was able to squeeze it in on Wednesday.
Tuesday I already had "Super Troopers 3" on the menu with the bfe.
As it's rare for him to see a flick with me, I not only agreed, but I treated him to the screening!
I must say, I'm not as familiar with the Broken Lizard comedy team as I am with others (Monty Python, Firesign Theatre, Second City, or even Random Acts Of Insanity), but he is a huge fan of their first movie.
That one is a quarter-century old now, by the way.
This third one is subtitled "Farva's Wedding", and that offered something for me: a touch of Bollywood, complete with elephant!
That was a very nice Tina Tuesday treat!
I was to have a meeting on Montgomery Street, so no second movie for me, except on paper I 'saw' the oldie, "Practical Magic", from 1998.
It made a showing because there's a new one coming out... and I hope to be the lead volunteer on that AARP-GA screening event here!
Got my fingers crossed!
(smile!)
Then my Wednesday was slam-packed with movies!!!
As well as the sweet one at NCG about Samoas and other cookies, I had a double-header at AMC!
Those were repeats of earlier dances, but with a difference.
This time, "Toy Story 5" was seen with a young family also there, with a dad who laughed at the same places that I did - very nice!
And this time, "One Night Only" was seen with quite a few others who braved the hot screening room with me!
Lack of air conditioning couldn't keep us away from this rom-com!
I also had myself a little inside joke with the movie: a pepperoni pizza!
Trust me, that was certainly a better choice than popcorn this time.
(smile!)
What about the scifi?
Well, technically, that was science fiction, as it occurred in a future time, though not too distant from now.
However, "Dark City" is the one I meant.
That's another from 1998, with Kiefer Sutherland as a doctor helping an alien race as they try to discover what makes humans tick.
Much as I liked him in "The Lost Boys", it wasn't the Sutherland that drew me in... it was the 31-year-old Sewell man, with his bedroom eyes.
Yes, Rufus Sewell - not only did he have those eyes, but he had a dream, much like 'Neo' did in "The Matrix".
He found out he was not in a real world and he set about to find it.
Here's the thing, though.
There was no real world.
He, and every other human, was living in a dark test-tube environment, where the landscape, and their memories, got 'tuned' every midnight by the humanoid aliens.
No daylight, no water, not even a beach, as the aliens hated those.
Here's the other thing, though.
Although Shell Beach didn't exist, advertising for it was all over the place: on billboards, on postcards, even on the route on the subway.
Well, if 'John Murdoch' could not find that beach, then what?
Blogspot didn't exist that long ago, so he couldn't just create his own beach, like I have done
Truly was an excellent movie - thanks, Comcast, for the $1 movie reward!
Now I'm going to watch "Beat Shazam" and try to identify those songs!

No comments: