Thursday, August 6, 2026

stepping into the light, at last!

There's something to be said for coming out of a cinema at night and being able to easily see your car in the parking lot.
The AMC Classic 11 has lacked parking lot lights for... months?
I'm trying to recall if they had working lights last fall, but cannot.
It isn't as if I go to night movies any more, since Barbara's death, but I can say that I have actively avoided being there since the parking lot went dark.
Tonight was different.
I'd had a double header and invited Carolyn to join me for the second movie.
Afterward, we came out... and that photo shows what we saw.
Lights!!!
Brightening the night and our paths to our cars!!!
I guess I can stop complaining about the darkness in my survey responses.
Hallelujah!!!
So, just what had we ventured out to see this evening?
Well, my friend had joined me for "The Invite", the latest with Seth Rogen.
He isn't an actor either of us follow, but he has improved of late.
He plays the husband of Olivia Wilde's character, and they're parents of a now-school-aged daughter that we never see.
They live in the house his parents once owned, now split into a duplex, and on this night they're having the noisy neighbors from upstairs over for wine and cheese.
Edward Norton and Penelope Cruz are that pair, still very much in a honeymoon state in their relationship, hence the nightly noise.
(smile!)
It's very much a tale of the new folks trying to get the curmudgeonly folks to loosen up, with the staid couple only doing so after a joint and some tequila, finally reaching to point of being open to wife-swapping... though that activity doesn't go well.
Still it had some funny moments along the way.
Not as many as "One Night Only" did, however!
From the opening premise, of a government-sanctioned night for singles to have sex, to the scene at the Little Red Lighthouse, it was a delightful romp!
Add to the mix that she's a jingle singer, and that final scene is during the filming of one of those drug commercials where everyone sings and dances, and it was right up my alley for fun!
I can't say I'm familiar with Monica Barbaro, but I love the way she embraced her character and I'll be paying better attention to her after this.
(She was up for an Oscar for her portrayal as 'Joan Baez' in the Bob Dylan movie a couple of years ago, but her name didn't stick with me.)
Likewise, Callum Turner isn't a name that resonates with me, though I've enjoyed his characters in the various movies he's been in.
As for the other two movies this week, I've already spoken at length about both "Hadestown: The Musical" as well as "Spider-Man: Brand New Day", so that ends this week's shout-out about my AMC A*List dances!
Now, on to other things!

No comments: