Thursday, August 20, 2026

a quartet and a plus-one from tom of amc

I not only filled my dance card, but had to be gifted another dance!
See what the banner says?
"You have already maxed out your reservations for this week, but you can still make reservations for showtimes this Friday and beyond."
But how would that do me any good?
"SIX: The Musical LIVE!" was leaving and Carolyn had not yet seen it!
I had raved about it over the weekend, but our schedules were off.
Today's screening at 7:45 PM would be the last chance to see it with my friend, but I was out of free dances... or was I?
Nope!
I still had a pass from Tom!
So that's how it happened that she and I, as well as about twenty others, were there grooving to the show from the Vaudeville Theatre earlier tonight!!!
I have some research on that bit of Tudor history, but first I want to get my A*List caught up, so I can cross that off my list.
(smile!)
So, what else did I see besides that musical?
Two others that were centered on music, plus one that wasn't.
That would be "Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma", seen primarily because Gillian Anderson was in it.
I took that to mean it had some raison d'etre, right?
Wrong.
Its sole purpose seemed to have been to bring in the LGBT+ audience. 
I guess she was just getting a paycheck and keeping up her SAG membership, because this was pretty lame.
However, I definitely enjoyed "Nimrods" and "Elijah Peel"!
The first one was a road trip movie, with three teens who drive across the country to Los Angeles, under the mistaken impression that their band - Analog Dogs - has been selected to open for Green Day's New Year's Eve concert.
[Sidebar: Green Day is almost 40 years old now!] 
Hilarity ensued, of course!
One of the boys was Mason Thames, who I do like, and he ended up with a travel crush on the character played by Mckenna Grace, who I also like.
Nice to see them paired up again in just a year!
(smile!
That leaves "Elijah Peel", which tells the tale of a 35-year-old musician sliding down from the top of his career as a rock musician, landing up in the hospital with a heart attack after too many drugs, too much booze, and too much hard-living.
Enter another patient at the hospital, more ambulatory than he is, who comes to visit him when she hears he is there.
Not one of his usual groupies, 'Jessica' is a 10-year-old dying of a brain cancer, and she is intent on making sure 'Elijah' knows about Jesus.
Kudos to Evelyn Grace Kite as the girl, and Robert Malcolm Cumming as the addicted musician trying to remake his life, and to Kevin Sorbo as his agent.
I had been concerned that this would be a tearjerker, but pleasantly surprised.
Good music in both of those movies!
Okay, time to get some knowledge on English history!

No comments: