Wednesday, August 5, 2026

paging doctor sidney smith, please

Dear Dr. Smith,
You need to step in to your office from time to time.
Today, I went to the Georgia Skin & Cancer Clinic to have two more moles excised by Taylor Byrne, your clinician working there. 
This was my fourth visit, by the way, so I have some experience with her.
She also has some experience with me, as she is well aware now that patients on Eliquis need better cauterization to prevent bleeding.
The last time I was there had been July 1st.
That visit, like this one, had been to have two moles removed, as they were moderately displastic nevi on their way to ruin.
That visit had gone well, with me being seen at my appointment time.
The two moles were both on my back, near the spine, and the entire process had me out of there in about twenty minutes.
Not so this time.
 
I had arrived a bit early, hoping for another quick visit, and was the second client in the waiting room.
Within five minutes, I was ushered into one of the inner rooms to await Taylor Byrne.
The time was 11:22 AM.
I was left to my own entertainment....
which, in and of itself, is common...
but time ticked by 
with no one checking on me.
In fact, I took this photo of the Blue Angels
and sent it to my computer to make note.
The time was 11:39 AM.
It was then 9 minutes past my appointment.
I then wandered around in the small room,
looking at other framed photos,
wondering where Taylor Byrne might be,
wondering why she was not there with me
for my appointment. 
This photo of the acrobat was taken at 12:01 PM.
No one had yet reached out to me, even though I had opened the door and asked why I was not being seen on time.
Was it because I am a referral patient from the Savannah VA Center?
Was it because the VA Community Care system was paying for me to be there?
Does the clinic have a problem with treating veterans or military patients?
I have to wonder. 
The redheaded aide who marked this spot certainly seemed to be trying to raise a reaction from me as she dug around with the anesthesia needle.
That time was 12:04 PM, more than 30 minutes past my appointment time.
Taylor Byrne offered no explanation for her tardiness.
She did ask if I wanted to reschedule, even though I had already spent so much of my time for this one that she had botched.
I'm hoping that this time was well spent.
I'm not convinced that the correct mole on my leg was marked.
I guess I will see tomorrow when I remove the sloppy bandage that her assistant put over the cauterized wound.
Meanwhile, Dr. Smith, I expect better on any future visits.
I will certainly let the VA hospital in Charleston know how disrespected this US Navy veteran felt at this appointment.
Sincerely,
Faustina
 

No comments: