Thursday, July 21, 2016

monsters! music! magic!





I'm in love with a monster, y'all!
The Summer Kid Film Festival brought me a plethora of them this week!
Happy birthday:58 - the celebration continues!
This time, the midweek, midmorning screenings started with "Hotel Transylvania 2" at the Regal. "Blah blah blah!" If you don't know what that means, then you've missed out!
No, seriously.
I'm so glad to have seen this one again! It has monsters! It has monsters dancing to music! It has monsters doing magic! It has it all!
And it reminded me of one of my favorite jokes.
(smile!)
"Live life like it's a song!" What a fabulous philosophy! That was the message on Wednesday from "The Book of Life". Thanks to the Regal for being the only cinema to bring this for the SKFF! Such a wondrous amalgam of the artistic motif from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and the pop-music stylings of "Moulin Rouge!" - two of my favorites! And there were so many clever lines!
Dia de Las Muertes featured all the dancing and singing - even an operatic aria from a former bullfighter! - that this girl could want!
And the dead are a type of monster, right? And Dia de Los Muertes is quite magical, n'est-ce pas?
(smile!)
The week's finale, "Rio 2", was one dear to my heart. The first time I saw this was a dark and stormy night two years ago.
No, I'm not talking about the weather anyone was experiencing except me.
How nice to have a bright blue sky, inside and out, for this viewing! Oh, plus popcorn and soda, since this was a Carmike day!
Pop-up books galore in this movie! How I do love those!
There was even a generous dose of Shakespeare! (Thanks, Nigel, you kooky bird!)
Did I say bird?
Of course!
Flying, singing, dancing, soccer-playing birds! Birds using GPS! Birds of blue and red and orange and yellow!
So... MUCH... COLOR!!!
Admittedly, this one was pretty light on monsters, unless you count the evil lollipop-munching tree destroyer as a monster.
And I do.
Admittedly, it was also missing the magic, unless you count the two tree-huggers crushing nefarious plans and saving a species from extinction as magic.
And I do.
(smile)
i thank You, God, for this feast for my spirit and my soul!

No comments: