Thursday, July 14, 2016

norm! george! ginormica!


Three folks I had not seen on the silver screen!
No, I did not make up that last name by combining the other two.
You have to admit, that would have been pretty cool, though!
It truly would have.
But you know the real beauty of the title?
It reflects the order in which I saw the movies.
Such a cool coincidence!

Here's another cool coincidence:
This week, the Summer Kid Film Festival brought three movies that I had not seen.
Allow that to soak in for a moment.
Three...
movies...
that...
were...
new to me
.
How very odd and so wonderful and truly perfect for inclusion in my birthday:58, n'est-ce pas?

And the total cost to me was less than ten dollars!
That even includes gas, y'all.
When you consider that the first one was out in Pooler, that's pretty remarkable! Pooler, where it's cooler...in the cinema!
True dat!
(smile)
I know, going out to Pooler seems like a bit of a haul, just for a $1 movie, but the Royal was the only one screening "Norm of the North". I tell you, that one has to be the freshest kid flick I've ever seen for a dollar! Usually, they're several years old by the time they hit the summer circuit. This movie about a bear "with too much care and not enough scare" debuted in January of this year.
Then again, I think it was marketed poorly. It's a good movie about family love. It's also a good example of standing up for one's beliefs.
Some of the humor was a bit gross...but that just means boys will love it more. And for the girls? Lots of googly-eyed furballs to cuddle and a strong female lead. And lots of dancing for everyone!
You know how much I enjoy dancing!
(smile!)
Wednesday, I stayed in town, bopping southside for "Curious George" at the Regal. This sweet little gem, about a young jungle monkey who imprinted on a man in a golden banana suit, first screened in 2006. Perhaps the reason for my missing it then was my lack of experience (and lack of interest) in the children's book.
That was my loss, remedied now! Will Ferrell was fabulous as Ted, the man in the yellow hat. Honestly, I was convinced I was listening to Ryan Reynolds and was pleasantly surprised to find I had been wrong! I had never noticed the similarity in their speech cadence before, and quite likely never would have, had it not been for this movie.
This week of films culminated today with "Monsters vs. Aliens", of 2009, screened at the Carmike. Popcorn and soda were included with the price of admission, for a mere $4, plus tax.
This SKFF experience was odd for two reasons. Firstly, I was the only person in the screening room. The Carmike usually has at least four screening rooms set up for the movie of the morn, and the first one I had popped into was full of small children from day camps. The one right next door was completely empty...but the movie was on, so I stayed. Very nice, though definitely odd.
Secondly, I could swear I have never seen this movie before. None of the monsters, including B.O.B. (benzoate oscillate bicarbonate), were even remotely familiar to me. And yet... I was completely well-versed with the storyline about Susan/Ginormica's interactions with the meteorite and with the career-obsessed weatherman she was to wed. It was as if I had only ever seen those parts of the movie.
Definitely odd!
Who knows what experiences next week will bring?
I look forward to finding out!

By the way, here's a shout-out of thanks to the Regal Cinema and the Victory Cinema! They are the only ones offering a Wednesday film during this SKFF. The Royal offers Tuesday and Thursday, as does the Pooler Stadium in its brief run. The Carmike has only the Thursday shows.
I am so grateful for having so many choices for three mornings a week! What a blessing! And what a great reason to get out of bed in the middle of the week!

No comments: