Wednesday, July 6, 2016

represent! elements


This is the Periodic Table of the Representative Elements which I created. I did so for my blind student, who first used it for the test on June 16, 2016.
I was trying to enable that student to have available the same resources given to the other students for their test.
Amazingly, resources for blind students, at the university and college level, are very much lacking.
I can only imagine how few may exist at grade school level.
Several of my friends told me I should patent my design.
So, I have taken action to do so.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

6 July 2016:
I spoke to Kurt Nelson at Montgomery Patent about getting a patent!!!
He needed a better description than the two lines I had initially sent.
Here's what I wrote:

"I teach chemistry and have a blind student. I have created a tactile Periodic Table to allow the student access to the atomic numbers, chemical symbols, family grouping, and energy display of the chemist’s Periodic Table.
The Representative Elements, in Groups 1A through 8A, of the Periodic Table are placed on the inside of a hanging file folder. Eight columns and six rows of two-inch squares are marked by gluing yarn on the folder. Groups 1A and 2A can be isolated from Groups 3A through 8A by folding the lefthand side of the folder in half, then folding under the six-column side. To concentrate on the Groups 3A through 8A, simply flip under the lefthand half flap (which has the Groups 1A and 2A). This allows easy differentiation between the "s" and "p" energy sections of the Periodic Table.
Letters and numbers (for the chemical symbols and atomic numbers) with different textures were then alternated on the rows. For the first, third, and fifth rows, canvas-textured letters and numbers or smooth cardboard letters and numbers were affixed within the correct two-inch squares. For the second, fourth, and sixth rows, foam letters and numbers were affixed. The change in texture allows tactile differences between the different energy levels, allowing the student to know quickly where the valence electrons are located.
I have also created tactile squares, using Post-its and puff paint, for use in teaching Lewis Dot structures, bonding, and chemical equations."

I'll be speaking with him again tomorrow!
Very exciting!

1 comment:

faustina said...

It's now 30 December 2019, the International Year of the Periodic Table.
The process of acquiring the patent has cost more than $18,000 and I have been awaiting word from the United States Patent and Trade Office for over a year.
I've had a teacher inquire about availability, before this school year began. Sadly, I had to tell her the process is very slow and the Periodic Table is not yet obtainable.
This year still has one more day...
so I shall remain hopeful.
(smile)