Saturday, July 16, 2016

some enchanted evening!


"American Graffiti" was the topic for viewing and discussion tonight at the Trustees Theatre.
I had so looked forward to seeing it on the big screen...
and the anticipation was well rewarded!
So many hotties, in their twenty-something prime, masquerading as just-graduated teens!
Well, not all of them were doing that.
Paul Le Mat was an older man, a hot-rod racing dreamboat...ooh la la! He really rocked that white T-shirt and those tight jeans. Seriously! That 14-year-old Mackenzie Phillips was so lucky to be toolin' 'round in his yellow truck!
Another man playing his age - or close enough - was a 31-year-old Harrison Ford. What a treat for the eyes and ears! As a rival hot-rodder, decked out in a cowboy hat and wearing an Elvis-worthy sneer, he was definitely fodder for sweet dreams later tonight...I'll just pretend he was singing "Some Enchanted Evening" to me, instead of to a fortunate Cindy Williams... pardon me while I melt...
(smile)
Speaking of treats for the senses, I have to give a shout-out to Wolfman Jack! As the DJ spinning the soundtrack to their lives, his 35-year-old voice was music to my ears! So very good to hear him again!
As for Richard Dreyfuss, I didn't really glom onto him until "The Goodbye Girl". Perhaps it was his stint as a naked man playing the guitar that did it for me in that one... yeah, that was definitely the scene!
Seeing this classic tonight, I know I've seen it before on a big screen. But certainly not when it first came out.
I would have been fifteen.
And shy.
But by the re-release in 1978, my early-twenty-something self would surely have been right there. And I would have known all the main players, too, especially Dreyfuss and Ford.
And that soundtrack...
Oh, my, yes... that fabulous soundtrack...
pardon me while I go find some Platters to play...
later, y'all!

1 comment:

faustina said...

One of the better things about this COVID-19 quarantine period?
Being reminded of great movies like this one...
and seeing Harrison Ford crooning those song lyrics to a woman who wanted no part of him.
LOL!
Sing to ME, I'll appreciate it so much!!!