Sunday, July 24, 2016

sparkly red shoes - not this time!


I can always rely upon the Savannah Stage Company to update a classic without losing its heart.
I truly believe that's because they have kept their personal sense of wonder about the world...just as I try to do.
That's why I support them every chance I get, though my funds are meager these days.
They are quite understanding about that, too.
That's why every single one of their shows lists the price, followed by "or pay-what-you-can".
They realize that everyone needs art in their lives.
Everyone.
Their credo is "to serve the southern coastal region with accessible professional theatre that encourages growth through imagination and bravery".
I love that word: accessible.
True, the third floor of the Ampersand isn't especially accessible for those who have difficulty breathing or walking. (Those stairs even take a toll on me if I don't pause on the second floor landing.) But one thing the site has provided for the valiant troupe: a place to call home.
The concept of "home" is certainly the heart of "The Wizard of Oz", especially as performed by SSC.
When you strip away elaborate sets, fancy props, and extensive costuming, what's left?

Well, it's enough to have warranted them the cover
of the local entertainment paper
! In fact, Connect Savannah even refers to the issue as "wizardofoz"! That's akin to a band making it to the cover of The Rolling Stone,
as Dr. Hook would tell ya!


And the write-up by Anna Chandler promoting the work is very well done! She definitely understands the mission of these actors.
So do I.
As I have noted before, the words should be the star of the show. Couple that with brisk pacing and minimal distraction, and the audience will gladly ride along!
That's not to say I haven't been thrilled by the premiere ballet version and its flying witches, or with Odd Lot's interpretation of this 77-year-old classic, or even simply with seeing the old movie on the big screen with other kids of all ages.
I have been, with each and every one, including the references made by the sharknado crew or during Velvet Caravan's concert.
Trust me, I'll take what I can get when the Wizard of Oz is summoned.
I know the words to all of the songs.
All of them.
ALL.
And Jayme and others saw me lip-sync my way throughout the show, face beaming. She even made a point of mentioning it to me before I left.
As I told her, the story has been near and dear to me since I was a girl.
I'm sure it will remain so for the rest of my life.
Thank you, Jayme and Wesley and company, for giving me new memories to love!
Thank you, bfe and Lika, for being there today with me!

i thank You, God, for this glorious experience!
Happy birthday:58 for me!

No comments: